In anticipation of providing support for OSX when it ships, our Mac gurus have been running beta releases on some G3 powerbooks. With the death of MacX, one of the things a lot of our Mac users want is some XWindows app. So, that's how I got into the act - I mentioned that Xfree86 4.0.2 had been ported to OSX. Naturally, I was asked to try and set this up, get it working, and document the episode.

Well, I sort of have it - installed Xfree86 4.0.2 and Xdarwin 0.4 - BUT - all I can get is a blank (and hence useless X window). Logging in as ">console" and playing with exporting paths and setting DISPLAY, we did get an X session going (with an AIX machine) with consoles, BUT only the mouse would work, the keyboard gave nothing.

Anyone try this? Any suggestions? I need to read more, clearly, and maybe need to install the older 0.3 Xdarwin instead. Plus, I can only run X by executing "./Xdarwin -quatrz" so either need a script solution to this, or to find a X-related file to edit for this (I could not find the .xserverrc file mentioned on the http://mrcla.com/XonX/ site).

TIA