no vga port on server, serial connection for term?

Thread: no vga port on server, serial connection for term?

soleblazer Guest

no vga port on server, serial connection for term?

I have a netra server here, no vga, needs a serial connection.

If i can find an old vanilla console will that work? Otherwise I have read about using an RJ-45 cable and a db-25 connector to do it with the tip command. Will this work? If so where can I get an db-25 connector?

Thanks!!!

Calvin_1976 Guest
    I ran into that same problem at work not to long ago. Get a db-25 to RJ-45 and hook it to a linux box or windows box and run an RJ-45 over to the netra RJ-45 serial port. I dont know where to get the db-25 to RF-45, I had a draw full of them already. Anyway in linux use minicom or in winblows use hyperterminal. The default serial settings should be 9600 8n1. You will get a console in the minicom or hyperterminal session. Send a break when the thing first boots and its the same as sending a stop+a on a local keyboard. From there you can boot any media device and get it installed. Its a real pain in the *** to get running but once installed they are nice because they dont waste alot of space.

soleblazer Guest
    Thanks Calvin, all of that did the trick. I had a windows laptop and just used hyperterm.

Thanks again,

JC

Calvin_1976 Guest
    Cool glad I could help.