Napster vs. Napster

Thread: Napster vs. Napster

Goughmezz Guest

Napster vs. Napster

Fun fact: When downloading files under Windows 98se, I can only get the OS to DL two files at a time. I notice that they download much slower as well.

However, in Be the OS downloads up to four files at a time at the given rate that they were intended to download!

Neat stuff.

Beowulf_Ghost Guest
    Another nice thing about BeOS;
    After you've downloaded your mp3's, you can give them Artist, Title, Album, Genre, Play Time and Year atributes. Much nicer then looking for file names. You can Search just for songs made before 1971, or songs from the Rock genre.

suckaMC Guest
    damn i wish BeOS ran on my new computer...its such a solid desktop OS. If it ran and had the developer support that Windows has i would have no need for windows or linux.

Beowulf_Ghost Guest
    suckaMC; Why won't BeOS run on your system? It may have limited h/w support, but I've been able to get it to run on some rather strange setups.

BeOS is getting some more support. They just got a deal with HP for printer support. The Sony memory stick via the BeIA on the eVilla. Java is on BeIA on rumor has it that it will be available on BeOS in a few months. So all in all, I'm looking forward to BeOS 6. Hardware openGL, better networking(BONE), Sun certified Java, and a lot more drivers.

Goughmezz Guest
    Originally posted by Beowulf_Ghost:
    suckaMC; Why won't BeOS run on your system? It may have limited h/w support, but I've been able to get it to run on some rather strange setups.

BeOS is getting some more support. They just got a deal with HP for printer support. The Sony memory stick via the BeIA on the eVilla. Java is on BeIA on rumor has it that it will be available on BeOS in a few months. So all in all, I'm looking forward to BeOS 6. Hardware openGL, better networking(BONE), Sun certified Java, and a lot more drivers.
    OHHH man. This is a masturbatory moment. Now if you'll excuse me...

suckaMC Guest
    Admittedly, i've tried running the personal edition, which has even worse hardware support i believe.

my mobo is not on the supported hardware list, and when i try and run it i get some error like "kernel address to high x##### (#'s i don't remember)."

Beowulf_Ghost Guest
    The only system I couldn't get BeOS 5 to work on was an old Intergraph workstation (dual P133, strange SCSI, dual video[one on-board], PCMCIA slot). That thing was pure custom made, and not well documented, so I never figured out what prevented it from installing.

Did you try bootig to safe-mode?

Craig McPherson Guest
    Originally posted by Goughmezz:
    Fun fact: When downloading files under Windows 98se, I can only get the OS to DL two files at a time. I notice that they download much slower as well.
    Actually, that has nothing to do with the operating system. That's an Internet Explorer feature: it won't concurrently download more than two files. I suppose the logic is that lusers will start downloading 50 files at once on a modem, watch them all trickle down to 0.0k/sec, and then when they inevitably time out, they'll call Microsoft Tech Support shouting "Bill Gates made me lose 50 downloads!" Protecting the lusers from themselves is what MS's design paradigm is, although they don't do a very good job of it.

Beowulf_Ghost Guest
    I thought he was talking about downloading with Napster.

Any way you cut it, the networking in Win9x stinks. Put Win98 on a T1 and it still stinks.