The Key to Ubuntu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Key to Ubuntu?

Smile The Key to Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by psych-major
    So anyway, install Ubuntu Feisty, read this, and quit your whining!
    Tell you what, from now on, when Psych Major tells me to do something, I'm just going to do it, no matter how condescending and obnoxious he is about it, no questions asked.

(Well, maybe not. It's not a hard and fast rule. )

The above link may be the missing piece to Ubuntu, and I want to call attention to it. People who are new to Linux and considering Ubuntu need to check out this page. People who are experienced with Linux and considering Ubuntu need to check it out twice as much.

Here's the deal with Ubuntu: it's got it's own way of doing things, which is why the usual way of doing things kept getting me into trouble. God help the poor son of ***** (sorry, Mom!) who tried to install flashplayer by downloading the file and then reading the file named (README) DON'T DO IT! Read THIS PAGE instead!

I wiped my SUSE system and installed Ubuntu as my "guest" OS, because I subscribe to safari books online, and safari books doesn't have any books on Debian more recent than Potato, so I added a couple of Ubuntu books to my bookshelf, and thought I might as well have access to them while I'm reading them. Also, psych-major told me to install Ubuntu. This site solved a couple of big problems right out of the box. Ubuntu is starting to make sense to me. All Ubuntu users must be aware.

I'm not saying that Ubuntu is my new favorite distro, but now, I have some comprehension of how and why Ubuntu works, and I have something to say to Ubuntu newbies who are having problems:

I'll just quote my bff, psych-major: Read this, and quit your whining!
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 05-07-2007 at 06:03 PM.

I'll bet they make that one a sticky over at the Dell support forums...
    I think I'm gonna archive it just in case something happens to it...
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

One thing I have found with the last two ubuntu releases is that the regular liveCD kinda sucks as an installer. For whatever reason, it just doesn't like my partition scheme. Most of my filesystems are xfs, a couple are reiserfs. The install script on the liveCD doesn't want to play nice with xfs and always complains that it won't be able to install grub (where's the option to install lilo???) I got around this headache by downloading the ubuntu alternate install disc, which uses the classic debian installer.
    Great distro otherwise!
    Linux user #367409

Okay, I may be starting to really like Ubuntu. It just installed my nVidia driver with one click. I can hardly believe it.

Clicked on System>Preference, and then I saw a button for "Desktop effects", and I clicked on it, just out of curiosity. What I got was a dialog asking me if I would like my nvidia driver installed so I clicked on yes. Oh and I have the Fox News-Beryl Desktop. It's goofy, but it'll be nice to impress the Rubes.

To hell with the rubes; I'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by infiniphunk
    One thing I have found with the last two ubuntu releases is that the regular liveCD kinda sucks as an installer. For whatever reason, it just doesn't like my partition scheme. Most of my filesystems are xfs, a couple are reiserfs. The install script on the liveCD doesn't want to play nice with xfs and always complains that it won't be able to install grub (where's the option to install lilo???) I got around this headache by downloading the ubuntu alternate install disc, which uses the classic debian installer.
    Great distro otherwise!
    I agree with Ubuntu. Your partition scheme sucks.

Okay, I'm kidding. I've heard vague warnings about Reiser, but I've heard similar things about RPM, and I'm convinced that they were greatly exaggerated. As far as XFS is concerned, I barely know how to spell that.

I will say this: it's not the situation that the average new user finds himself in, and I'm more favorably impressed that Ubuntu provided an alternative installer as a solution than I am unfavorably impressed that you had a problem with installing from the live CD onto your Hollywood liberal filesystems.

At this point, I'm beginning to worry. What if Ubuntu isn't overrated?
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 05-07-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Don't worry, ubuntu probably isn't overrated.
    But you're right, the whole thing with the nvidia driver is pretty cool, its sure going to make things a lot more attractive for the noobs who have nvidia as part of their kit.
    Linux user #367409

You know, I'd probably reccomend that text-based installer disk to anyone who isn't a newbie planning a conventional partition scheme. If the Ubuntu live CD doesn't detect a windows partition while installing, it will automatically reset your hardware clock to UTC, without asking. I just used Ubuntu to wipe an XP install, and the Debian partition that was left untouched had been configured to coexist with windows, with a hardware clock set to local time. So now, every time I boot back into Debian, I have to reset the clock.

The live cd is an automated, dumbed-down install, and there's nothing wrong with that, as long as there's an alternative... but if you know what you're doing, and you're planning on doing anything even slightly unusual, the alternative disk is probably best.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 05-07-2007 at 06:00 PM.

Most of my filesystems are xfs, a couple are reiserfs. The install script on the liveCD doesn't want to play nice with xfs and always complains that it won't be able to install grub (where's the option to install lilo???) I got around this headache by downloading the ubuntu alternate install disc, which uses the classic debian installer.
    Great distro otherwise!
    I've had no issue with pre-existing reiser, ntfs or FAT file systems at install, but I don't think they have xfs in the base release cd, that's probably why the alternate install cd worked for you.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones
    Clicked on System>Preference, and then I saw a button for "Desktop effects", and I clicked on it, just out of curiosity. What I got was a dialog asking me if I would like my nvidia driver installed so I clicked on yes. Oh and I have the Fox News-Beryl Desktop. It's goofy, but it'll be nice to impress the Rubes.
    While you're at it...install the package 3ddesktop. Go into gconf-editor and make a keyboard shortcut to it, and then you can really impress yourself and the rubes! I've wowed most of my co-workers with it so far, with the best response being, "Hey, is that Vista!"
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by psych-major
    While you're at it...install the package 3ddesktop. Go into gconf-editor and make a keyboard shortcut to it, and then you can really impress yourself and the rubes! I've wowed most of my co-workers with it so far, with the best response being, "Hey, is that Vista!"
    Is that the same thing as 'Desktop Effects' under System>Preferences which enables beryl. I tried it that way myself but found it didn't work as well as just installing the necessary beryl packages (including beryl-manager) from apt.
    You need beryl-manager to customize beryl and really make stuff look good.
    Linux user #367409

no, I don't believe it's related to Beryl. Frankly I had no luck with beryl, and don't currently have the time to read up on it.

3ddesktop is a standalone package. If you run multiple desktops, when you run it it pulls them back, lets you rotate them to the one you want, then brings them back to the front. Not as efficient or useful as ctl+alt+<left arrow> or <right arrow>, but it sure is interesting!

Incidentally, I removed the default value for ctl+alt+<up arrow> and assigned it to 3ddesktop.
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)

Originally Posted by psych-major
    So anyway, install Ubuntu Feisty, read this, and quit your whining!
    someone should make a script for all that BASIC junk.
    and yet you've given me another reason to wanna throw up when i hear the word Ubuntu!

the point is; if you like aboondoo go brag about its greatnes on the ubuntu forums.

i doubt the justlinux.com forum admins wanna see another post about a specific distro.

thats all for now.
    Last edited by cylent77; 06-05-2007 at 11:30 PM.

Don't worry, ubuntu probably isn't overrated.
    But you're right, the whole thing with the nvidia driver is pretty cool, its sure going to make things a lot more attractive for the noobs who have nvidia as part of their kit.
    you guys are too silly

i have one for you

instead of the whole 1 click nvidia install wow omg ftmfw i installed the nvidia drivers with one click oh wow i cant stop jumping its so amazing this distro really roX and i am so cool like all the other 15 year old hackers out there. arghhhH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    why not just download a distro that has the nvidia drivers already?

and in the meantime i'll stick with windows cause the linuxdesktop just aint ready ...
    Last edited by cylent77; 06-05-2007 at 11:32 PM.

The linux desktop is ready, but you apparently aren't...you're banned for 24 hours cylent77, so you can calm down
    Last edited by je_fro; 06-06-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

instead of the whole 1 click nvidia install wow omg ftmfw i installed the nvidia drivers with one click oh wow i cant stop jumping its so amazing this distro really roX and i am so cool like all the other 15 year old hackers out there. arghhhH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    why not just download a distro that has the nvidia drivers already?

and in the meantime i'll stick with windows cause the linuxdesktop just aint ready ...
    linux desktop has been ready for a long time..... its just that you don't want to take the time to learn it. . its a shame because x windows offers alot to users that what to user it and master it....... start by learning

xorg.conf ............ha ha ha
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

I find it difficult to understand what anyone can find hard about installing the nvidia driver manually. well I guess typimg sudo init 3, then cd /to the driver, then sudo sh NVIDIA (press tab, enter) and follow the easy prompts pressing yes to each question might frighten some I guess.