Modem programming

Thread: Modem programming

Hybrid View

Death on Wheels Guest

Modem programming

Does anyone know of any good source code I could read to learn how to communicate with the modem? I don't mean TCP/IP, sockets, etc.--I mean communicating directly with the modem (i.e. initializing it, sending it AT commands, telling it to send data, etc.). A tutorial would be fine as well, but I really would prefer some source code.

------------------
    Kurt Weber
    Shell scripts? Shell scripts? We don't NEED no stinkin' shell scripts!

Sterling Guest
    For Linux, IIRC, its quite simple... I THINK you just write the commands as text to /dev/modem, just like writing them to any other file. If you mean write a device driver for a modem (ie, something that creates /dev/modem and handles programs writing to and reading from it), then I've no clue.

Remember that Unix handles almost everything like a file.

------------------
    -Sterling
    -This post made with the Lizard! (http://www.mozilla.org)

[This message has been edited by Sterling (edited 20 October 2000).]

Death on Wheels Guest
    All right. So I just send "ATDT5555555" to the modem and wait for a connection, and then start sending the data? No prior initialization is necessary?

Also, let me make sure of something--I have two serial ports, both currently unused, and my modem is internal. Therefore, my modem is /dev/cua2, correct?

------------------
    Kurt Weber

[This message has been edited by Death on Wheels (edited 20 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Death on Wheels (edited 20 October 2000).]

acura0382 Guest
    Standard initialization string: ATZ

this can be different if you know the specs on your modem i.e: AT L49 p48 i39 (this is not real this is just something i made up at random)

Dialing: ATDT #######

Hanging up: ATA

there other different commands but these are the ones you need for communication programs for like bbs's and whatnot.

Death on Wheels Guest
    Yeah, I know all the modem commands. I just was wondering if there is anything outside of those I need to know.

------------------
    Kurt Weber