Learning Java

Thread: Learning Java

dunno Guest

Learning Java

I was thinking about learning gui programming for C, but I'd have to learn two different... things for both windows and linux. So Java sounds very intresting. But I've heard Java is slow, and most of the applets on websites look like crap. Is it really worth it?

dunno Guest
    hmm, I was reading the J2SDK v1.3. Binary Code License Agreement (yes i actually read these things), and here's something it said:

"You acknowledge that Software is not designed, licensed or intended for use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility"

I thought that was kinda funny...

[This message has been edited by dunno (edited 20 October 2000).]

Mikenell Guest
    If you decide to learn it theres some good (so I've heard) online book here:
    http://www.jim-brown.co.uk/

Mikenell

klamath Guest
    Yes, it's definately worth it.

Try the 'Thinking in Java, 2nd Ed' book. It's available in dead-tree format, or for free from http://www.bruceeckel.com/

------------------
    - Klamath
    Get my GnuPG Key Here

BrianDrozd Guest
    Originally posted by dunno:
    I was thinking about learning gui programming for C, but I'd have to learn two different... things for both windows and linux. So Java sounds very intresting. But I've heard Java is slow, and most of the applets on websites look like crap. Is it really worth it?
    Yes, learning Java is really worth it. Java is currently one of the main programming languages you'll encounter in the workplace, right up there with C/C++. So far, it looks like it will be here for another five years or so, as all attempts to replace it so far have failed to do so.
    Well designed Java code is not terribly slower than C code compiled normally. Certainly a slow down exists but on current Java Virtual Machines running on a fairly modern system, you probably won't notice. (In fact, I remember seeing somewhere that someone benchmarked Java as faster than similar C++ code. I don't remember any specifics so take it with a grain of salt.)
    Also, the reason most Applets look like crap is because the designers of said applets did a bad job of designing them, not because of any problems in Java itself. I have see some very well designed Java Applets. It just takes time and testing.
    Have fun!

Dru Lee Parsec Guest
    I certainly agree that applets have probably not lived up to the hype that Javasoft originally put out. I also agree that it's up to the designers to make them look great.

The slowest part of Java is starting up a new Java Virtual Machine when a new program is loaded. Also, there are times when you're doing something and the Java garbage collector runs (automatically cleaning up freed memory) and that will temporarily slow down a program.

But, for most user applications Java is a very viable alternative. And as you said, if you want a program that works great in Linux and if you MUST use it in Windows then it works there too.

Now, I also love C++. I use to be a serious C++ bigot where I thought that no other language could touch it. So don't take this next comment as bashing C or C++.
    I think C/C++ have several barriers to learning. Pointers are amazingly powerful, but it's consistently a problem for people to understand. With Java I tend to do much more designing and coding and less trying to figure out "How does that work". Now, part of that is because Java forces an object oriented attitude whereas with C++ you can elect to write very object oriented code or not very object oriented code.

So they're both good languages and you'll not lose anything by learning both. But you may learn the concepts of writing code easier with Java.