Fallout under Wine

Thread: Fallout under Wine

Fallout under Wine

I am unable to get Fallout to work under Wine, even though everyone else says it works perfectly.

I have windows installed on hda1, linux on hdb. Today I figured out how to mount windows and edit /etc/fstab.I also installed and got WINE working -- I can load basic programs like minsweeper, notepad, etc. I even got Fallout Tactics to run (though it was very very choppy).

However, whenever I attempt to run Fallout or Fallout 2, I get the Wine alert panel which says:

"ERROR: Could not find the master datafile. Please make sure the FALLOUT CD is int he drive and that you are running FALLOUT from the directory you installed it to".

This is odd because I did a full install of the game (shouldn't need the disc) and it happens even when the disc is in and the drive mounted. Also I have changed to the directory where the game is installed before running the command.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I haven't got into wine alot, but I know that because there are so many different wines out there now, you need to make sure you have the right one for your program.

for instance, i've been checking out about getting lotus notes r5 to run with wine, but it appears that it's only one particular variation that allows it to work. many configurations released after that time don't run lnr5 very well or at all.

find out what wine others were using who got fallout to work and go from there. i think winehq.org is a pretty good place to try first.
    The ark had just one window, but many penguins (2 of each kind). The Window got used 3 times, then Noah never used it again. Who needed it with all those penguins???

Thanks -- that's a good point. The impression I got is that it pretty much universally works, with only a few releases that caused it to be a bit buggy, but subsequent releases fixed those problems.

Also, the error doesn't seem typical of the problems people had during the few "buggy" releases (i.e. it would still run without any errors, but some things with the mouse would be a little funky), which makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

One other thing: I understand that programs often require a data/config file to work, and that under WINE, if this file is not in the same directory as the executable file, you need to specify it's location. All the files required for fallout are either in the same directory, or within nested directories. The syntax for specifying a data/config file for wine (from what I've seen) look like:
    Code:
    $ wine --[options] /path/to/programe.exe c:\\path\\to\\program.dat
    However, this doesn't seem to help (either the second argument is ignored, or it doesn't recognize the path).

Eh, but it couldn't hurt to try an older version...

Check your ~/.wine/config file. Make sure your CD-ROM has a drive letter assigned to it.

I have 2 Windows partitions (on 2 drives), plus a CD drive, so I have entries for C:, D:, and E:. I think by default there are also entries for like your home directory and a temp directory, but I'm not sure if there are CD-ROM entries. It'd be worth a check.

Which wine are you using? I've been able to install and run Fallout and Fallout 2 with no problems other then the cursor being laggy and the world map running dog slow (Dog Meat rules!) using the WineX binaries. Still trying to get Fallout Tactics working, but WineX does not support DirectX 8.0 (yet).

If you are good at using CVS's go get the WineX from www.transgaming.com

www.linuxgames.com has wine success stories, including what version of wine was used. I know that fallout is on the list, and if you could just get that version of wine, presto.
    `Only dead fish swim with the stream. . .

Or spend the $5/month and support the WineX movement and use the binaries

Thanks everyone!

I had known about the wine gaming success page, but I was unable to locate the version mentioned there. I am, however, able to run fallout using wine version 20010112, which seems to be working pretty well!

I was trying to run fallout from the windows HD, and was able to solve the problem by copying the falout directories to /usr/share/wine-c/Program Files, then changing permissions on the Program Files directory so that everyone can read/write/execute in that directory.

I have one final question, though:

Fallout runs in 640x480, and I have X running in 800x600. I didn't see anything in the wine manpages about this, but is there an easy way to make X run Fallout in 640x480, maybe by giving wine a resolution parameter? Other than that, am I stuck either manually running X Configurator or running Fallout with the managed switch (which puts it in a window about 2/3 of my monitor display)?

Thanks again everyone!

Turn on the XVidMode extension in your wine config file, and it should (assuming 640x480 is a defined X resolution, which it usually is) switch modes for you.

If Wine crashes, use Ctrl-Alt-keypad_plus or Ctrl-Alt-keypad_minus to switch back to normal resolution.

I didn't have any reference to XVidMode in my config file, so I added the line:

Code:
    "XVidMode" = "Y"
    to the [x11drv] section. When I tried to run the game, the window opened (again 1/3 the desktop size), then crashed before anything was drawn to it. So I removed the line from the config file, and it still crashes.

Here's wine's output at the console:
    Code:
    fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_SetCooperativeLevel (0x403d5e70)->(00000138,00000011)
    fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x403d7bb0,00000138,3):stub
    err:dinput:SysMouseAImpl_Unacquire Unacquiring a not-acquired device !!!
    Why it's complaining about the mouse now, I have no idea...

So at this point, I can't get it to run at all. I'm pretty sure I didn't mess up anything in the config file. I can post the config file if anyone wants to have a look.

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: Rakeswell ]

You're going to want to change that to "UseXVidMode" = "Y", but I have no idea why it's crashing now after you got rid of the line again.

Try restarting X (not the machine, just log out of your WM/DE and startx again) maybe?

Check the user wine config file for something that looks like
    ;"Desktop" = "800x640"
    If it looks like this it will not make a window and run full screen (be sure you have the needed size in your config) and uncomenting this will force it to run in a window, just make sure you have the "Managed" = "Y" on or it will not have a border and take up the corner of your display