Excuse me if this posting is on the wrong place. It involves a kgpg problem.

I keep a password file on my computer. I have always encrypted it with kgpg by right clicking on the file in Dolphin (Kubuntu various, currently 10.04) and telling it to encrypt. With the right options selected, I used a private pass phrase and my passwords were then encrypted.

Each time I deleted the text password file, and also the ~ backup file.

It has been a while since I added a new password. In that time, I decided to volunteer as tester on Kubuntu. One does not just sign up and send in bugs.

The first time, there was a rather lengthy procedure, reading a lot of stuff, signing up here and there, and a somewhat lengthy procedure to get my public key, etc. And, I only found one bug at that time.

I have found more bugs since, but frankly while I wouldn't mind submitting the bugs, with only one time experience, I'd have to dig out my notes and work through it, and I happen to have a number of other projects going now.

Anyway, that is only history.

I added a new password, and when I went to encrypt it, it refuses to do anything but use my Public Key, can't use my private passphrase any more.

No matter how logical that might be, I simply don't want to do that.

So, any ideas?

One is to go back to my notebook method for passwords, of course.

Another is to find a new way of encrypting which does not use the Public Key against my wishes.

And, another way, which is last choice, is to find out how to delete the Public Key on my machine. When I get time, I'd still like to input those bugs. I am aware after I do two or three it will be much faster.

It looks like the best choice would be if I could find another app which encrypts as requested, if one exists, and leave kgpg alone.

I am not real paranoid, and even a simpler encryption would suit me for my passwords.

Thanks for any ideas.