What computers work well with Linux ?

Thread: What computers work well with Linux ?

What computers work well with Linux ?

I thought this would be a good place for everyone to share their own experiences and help out those of us who are in the market for a new computer.
    For best results, post the make of the computer you are reviewing, recommending, reviling, or requesting info about, as your subject.
    I know a lot of makers out there are using things like winmodems which wont work in Linux, and don't always say so up front in their literature. If we communicate we can stay on top of them.
    I'm particularly wondering about e-machines, as I might buy one, does anyone have any experience with them?
    Thanks.

Gateway2000
    (ok - I guess replies have no subject field)
    I thought I'd start off by reviewing my current PC, although its three years old, so I don't know who this might help.
    I'm currently running Red Hat 6.0 on a Gateway2000 P5 - 120 Family PC (Pentium , 120mhz, 16mb RAM) with a Sportster 28800 modem. Linux runs pretty well, but not as well as Windows 95. Its shortfalls are mainly speed (its particularly slow on the internet), and less ability to view high resolution graphics.
    I understand that many people say that Linux runs faster than Windows for them. I suspect my underpowered computer, particularly in the RAM department, is the reason Windows 95 is quicker for me.
    I'm currently using the KDE desktop, and have tried the KDE browser, as well as Netscape Navigator, but neither performs like my Netscape Communicator 4.04 on Windows 95. When I really want to speed things up on Linux though, I can use the Lynx text browser.

Check your configurations. We have a 486 dx2 66 with 32 megs of ram with linux. It runs just as fast as our pent. 166 32 megs of ram running WinNt.
    KDE is also a resource hog. Have you tried Gnome. Or Enlightment, WindowMaker, AfterStep?

bblakeny, I run a computer store here in my town. I have had several e-machines in for repair for various ailments. I personally hate e-machines because they use integrated parts. One of my customers brought an e-machine in for repair because he said his viedo wasn't working. Well, after a while of checking the thing out, I found that the video chip was bad. Well guess what? You have to send the whole system off and have it replaced completely. Another thing, e-machines is based out of Korea somewhere (pretty sure about that) and I have heard that their tech support rates about as good as Packard Bell's, which everyone knows is quite shabby. If you buy a cheap computer (like e-machines), remember you are buying a cheap computer. You pay for what you get. If I were you, I would consult a local computer shop and go from there. Make sure they are competent!! Some shops are full of idiots. See ya and good luck!

[This message has been edited by Mankar (edited 10-07-99).]