hard drive big trouble, please help

Thread: hard drive big trouble, please help

hard drive big trouble, please help

hi all,
    i just wonder if i'm able to get thru this without having to re-install everything.

i said:
    umount /dev/hdf6
    fsck -CV -t ext2 /dev/hdf6
    then Linux said:
    /dev/hdf6 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
    Pass1: Checking inodes, blocks and sizes
    hdf: read_intr: status=0X59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }0%
    hdf: read_intr: error=0X40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=85864172, sector=3148674
    Error reading block 393 393584 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in a short read) while doing inode scan. Ignore error<y>?
    and i typed n
    so i got:
    Error while scanning inodes (210176): Can't read the next inode.
    and i'm being sent to the prompt!!!

3 questions:
    1. Is there any chance that i could fix this?
    2. Is there any chance that the hard drive could be damaged?
    3. What would be the best course of action?
    thanks,
    kowalsky

Is there a reason why you did this in the first place? was the computer not booting? if it was still booting you should just be able to reboot, cause from what I saw you didn't actually change anything. If you are running fsck because the computer wouldn't boot and said the drive was corrupted the best thing to do is probably just say yes to fixing everything. I have had this mess up a drive, but usually it fixes everything and I reboot and all is happy agian.

I knew I had some trouble because it reported filesystem errors during the boot. At that time it forced a check and came up with quite a number of inodes that resulted in short read while scanning.
    During the interactive fsck I answered yes to all questions so I guess with all Ignore this error<y>? answered with yes I didn't fix anything. And then the real show started: most of the big files I had on that partition reported I/O errors when trying to open, copy, move them. I am quite at peace with myself (and my Linux box) knowing I probably won't recover those files ever but now I really want to move on. I need to have this partiton fixed and I don't know exactly what will it take.

What you said about screwing a hd with fsck is true if you do this before you unmount the filesystem - usually it warns you.
    OK, let's see if anybodycomes with any ideas.
    Thanks,
    kowalsky