ahhhh.....sweet sucess

Thread: ahhhh.....sweet sucess

ahhhh.....sweet sucess

yes...finally.....i have linux up and running on my system. Being a super newbie to linux. (my total experience totaling one week) it has taken me a while. I initally tried out RH 8.0 and could not get my printer set up for the life of me. I have a HP Officejet k60 which connects though a USB cable. I could select it in the RH printtool...yet nothing happened when i try to print.

Well.....being a student as I am....I need a functional printer every now and then. So after multiple installs, trying tutorials and whatnot I had almost but given up on linux for good. But then...today I decide to get another distro a try. So I got Mandrake 9.0 and put it on my system.

I must say.....as far as automatic printer detection Mandrake FAR exceds RH. Mandrake even sets up your printer and lets you print a test page as part of the intallation of the OS!!! You could say that I was very happy with the result when something finally came out of my printer!!!

If anyone is REALLY new to linux and you're tried other distros and you still can't get your printer set up I would recommend Mandrake 9.0.

Buy anyway...Now that I've got the printer up and my nVidia drivers set up...(kinda, i have a Geforce4 but all my settings are unter the Geforce3 selection)...I am ready to begin my full migration away from M$!!!!

Bert

I have the opposite story to tell - I installed Mandrake 9 and for the life of me couldn't get my Ethernet to work properly (I have onboard ethernet and while it was detected fine, I got TONS of errors when I looked at ifconfig). Installed RH8 and I'm having no trouble at all, and NO errors.

My printer (Samsung ML-1210) works great in both distros, incidentally.

dunbar is offline Conspicuous Linux misuser

Talking Classic!

Been there, done both (distros), moved on!
    Welcome, both of you!
    This is a common problem, the battle of the distros rages still!!!

I couldn't get RedHat to even install on my system at all. So I downloaded Mandrake 9.0 and it worked great, the install was a piece of cake. Good stuff for a linux newb like me

The classic battle of Distro. My first install (2 years ago, has it been so long?) was mandrake distro 6.1 or something to that extent. Old. From there I eventually moved to redhat. Ive tried debian, but I like Redhat the best. I REALLY did not like rh 8.0, as it was mostly an eyecandy upgrade, with the only real major differences being the combined desktop, bluecurve or whatever (YUK ) and the inclusion of the upgraded cpp. Not worth it in my book, tried mandy 9 also, Now I remember why I left it for redhat. So, I went back and installed Rh 7.3, by far my favorite version to date.
    The more people I meet, the more I dont like people...Http://www.geocities.com/mountainmancentral

Best autodetection I've ever seen is on the Knoppix boot-from-CD distro. It's the best way I've seen to try Linux without having to do stuff to your harddrive.

The new Xandros 1.0 is supposed to be pretty hot too, from what I heard.
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

I haven't found anything Mandrake 9 wont auto detect yet.

Mountainman, why didn't you dig about mdk 9?

Dun'kalis Guest
    Try getting a Canon S520 working. There are no drivers for it, but I had to use the drivers for some other Canon that isn't of the same line (not even an Sx). That sucked, since I wasted so much paper and ink.

Talking

Today in October 23,2002 will go down in history as the day I took a giant leap away from Uncle Bill. I installed RH8 and thought I was going to have to keep my Windows installed so I would be able to connect to the internet. As everyone knows winmodems and Linux do not get along to well. To my surprise I was directed to a site linuxmodems and found a driver for my particular softmodem. I downloaded the file installed, configured kppp and here I am today surfing the web on my Linux box......God life is GREAT!

I just didnt like the feel of it, Guess I have been playing with redhat to long.
    The more people I meet, the more I dont like people...Http://www.geocities.com/mountainmancentral

poor xin xin

hello
    er.... sorry to tell you all, i still having problem with the red hat install - the Xwindow. seen few month ago until now i still cant make it work. i should be super super ^6 newbie hahaha

wish me luck to make linux work

xin xin
    AMD K6-2 450mhZ
    RED-hAt 7.2 KDE and fluxbox
    people help each other