Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Insert tip here <------

Insert tip here <------

if you want to go to command line fast -
    ctr+alt F5
    to go back to gui -
    ctr+alt F7

have the command line finish what you type-
    (for example you have a command 'evolution')
    evolu (press tab)

insert more here
    |
    |
    |
    \ /
    "SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND" -mdwatts-

have the command line finish what you type- (for example you have a command 'evolution') evolu (press tab)
    The tab key matches only to the first *unique* filename, so if you hit the tab key and it does not autocomplete, hit it twice to get a list of all matching possiblities. For example:

cp r<TAB> will only complete if you have one file starting with "r"

cp r<TAB><TAB> will show all files starting with "r", like this:

run rpm rutabega rpc resolv.conf

Greg

there are generally 6 virtual console Ctrl-alt-F5 will get you to the fifth one.

ctrl-alt-[1 through 6] (from X) or alt-[ 1 through 6 ] (from another console) or alt-left/right (also from another console)

locate foo finds all files on your computer whos name contains foo. locate -r '[fF]oo' uses regex match to limit results (this one finds all foo or Foo).
    http://www.etria.com
    Debian based webhosting

Originally posted by bskahan

locate foo finds all files on your computer whos name contains foo. locate -r '[fF]oo' uses regex match to limit results (this one finds all foo or Foo).
    as root, type 'updatedb' for the command 'locate' to recognize new files and it's location

'history' allows you to see all the commands you types into the console so far.

'dmesg' lets you see alot of sometimes helpful info about your computer

'|more' lets you go a page at a time, with 'f' being forward one whole page at a time.

'xf86cfg' allows you to see a very simple and powerful graphical interface to help you in setting up TV-out, dual monitors, and how your screens are configured (left to right, right to left, top and bottom, etc).

using "| less" may also work when getting page to page output from the terminal

in kde: ctrl+esc shows the processes going on, you may kill some if you want
    ps -A also works the same
    kill pid pid - process id
    also "top"

put root to sleep:
    while compiling or doing other running tasks in root type "ctr+z" to let it sleep for awhile, type "fg" (foreground) to wake up root.

Use grep to slim down those search results:

ps -aux | grep cupsd (see if cupsd is running)

rpm -qa | grep xbill (see if xbill is installed)

locate *.xpm | grep gnome (find where the gnome graphics are installed)

Disclaimer: There are probably flags to check some of these things automatically, but why learn 3 flags for 3 commands, when you can just use one easy command?

Grep is your friend
    mrBen "Carpe Aptenodytes"

Linux User #216794

My blog page

3rd year running - get yourself to LugRadio Live 7th-8th July 2007, Wolverhampton, UK. The premier FLOSS community event.

If you know you've typed in something long and tedious before (like, for example, wine --winver=win2000 -- radmin.exe -connect pc185 -through drawform.com), but it's been a while, so you don't want to hold down the up arrow (which will scroll back through previous commands) for a long time, just hit Ctrl-R, and type in something that's in the command (in this case, "radmin" should work well). Ctrl-R puts bash into reverse-string-match mode, where it will look backwards through the history for a string matching what you type, as you type it.

Also, I always edit my ~/.bash_profile (or /etc/profile, whichever) to export HISTSIZE=10000 ; export HISTFILESIZE=50000

The HISTSIZE variable tells bash to remember 10,000 lines before either throwing them away or writing them to the history file (~/.bash_history -- I don't know if it writes them, or dumps them). The HISTFILESIZE variable gives bash a limit on the number of lines in that history file. Once that number gets passed, the first lines are deleted to make room.

The default for HISTSIZE is something like 100, and HISTFILESIZE is like 1000. Much too small for me, personally.

TIP: Search www.google.com/linux, read the NHFs, and search the forums before posting

Originally posted by bwkaz
    If you know you've typed in something long and tedious before (like, for example, wine --winver=win2000 -- radmin.exe -connect pc185 -through drawform.com), but it's been a while, so you don't want to hold down the up arrow (which will scroll back through previous commands) for a long time, just hit Ctrl-R, and type in something that's in the command (in this case, "radmin" should work well). Ctrl-R puts bash into reverse-string-match mode, where it will look backwards through the history for a string matching what you type, as you type it.

[/B]
    wow I didn't know that one, I'll experiment with it, Thanks

There's also a forward-search keystroke you can use, but I don't remember what it is. I have to read the bash manpage (readline section) to figure it out whenever I need it...

Originally posted by Cybr099
    TIP: Search www.google.com/linux, read the NHFs, and search the forums before posting
    That's a good one. I would never have thought of that.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

it isn't much:

ctrl+F1 to F* - change to another virtual desktop

forward-search for history is Control-S, but that and Control-R might only work for VISUAL=emacs.
    Registered Linux User # 291626

Ubuntu 7.04 -+- kernel 2.6.20-16 -+- Thinkpad T60 w/ Intel Centrino Duo

Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others.
    - Edward Abbey

But doesn't Ctrl-S suspend the current process?