Insert tip here <------ - Page 4

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Insert tip here <------

Dun'kalis Guest
    Those are KDE only tips. Except for the installation, but thats the default on most ./configures and RPMs.

ldconfig. If you install a library and it can't be found, run this! It should work afterwards.

tip

When you're at your comp typing or fragging away and you're thirsty.
    Keep a frig next to your rig.
    It'll help cool your rig and a convient source of soda
    :=-)
    I have every Simpsons episode known to man. If you want one I'll be glad to get it to you. I can't use file-sharing programs due to network policy but just send me an IM to Dante20883 and we'll work something out.
    "Bon Jourrrrr, you cheese eatin surrender monkeys"

subscribing

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    Mandrake Linux 9.1
    Enlightenment

ScreenShot
    Vote Linux
    My Google
    Linux user no #317226

If you know you've typed in something long and tedious before (like, for example, wine --winver=win2000 -- radmin.exe -connect pc185 -through drawform.com), but it's been a while, so you don't want to hold down the up arrow (which will scroll back through previous commands) for a long time, just hit Ctrl-R, and type in something that's in the command (in this case, "radmin" should work well). Ctrl-R puts bash into reverse-string-match mode, where it will look backwards through the history for a string matching what you type, as you type it.

!w would work more easily
    ! followed by a letter recalls the last command
    starting with that letter. if an intervening command has a w, !wine will recall the last command with wine.
    Last edited by phlipant; 11-22-2002 at 05:03 AM.

Thumbs up <Ctrl><D> is my favourite and I use it most often.

When you want to logout, then type <Ctrl><D> and you'll save yourself 2 or more keystrokes. Does anybody know anymore <Ctrl> key combinations?

Edit: I just went through all the <Ctrl> key combinations, & think that I've found them all, but I would still prefer a list of all of them. Does anybody know of a list off of the top of their head? I could do a Google search, so don't go too far out of your way.
    Last edited by EugeneTSWong; 11-22-2002 at 05:54 AM.
    Sincerely, and with thanks,
    Eugene T.S. Wong

Lightbulb

Getting around a samba permissions and su-ing to root i use Netraverse Win4Lin.

This allows me to run any M$ apps that wine can't handle and i save any network files to "My Documents" which is a symlink to my home folder.

The files is saved with all the correct permisions and i did'nt even go near root.

It seems to make my life (at work) easier.

Originally posted by MMA
    OK you know that you brother/sister/parents/whoever use WinXP, you can't access there files becuase of the new NTFS security, right?

So go into linux, mount the drive (obviously read only) and then you can nose around

HHHEEHEHEHEHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Also if you have a pdf document on your Windows partition that has print disabled just look at it from Linux and you can print it.

Add the following to your ~/.fluxbox/menu file (works well with keys and init, but don't do it with the slitlist because the changes won't stick).
    [exec] (Edit Menu) {gvim ~/.fluxbox/menu}

wterm can do tinting, just use -tr and -bg at the same time.

Use mterm in your slit/dock/whatever to have instant commandline access.

Type "wtf is grep" and get a real answer. ("wtf is wtf" is pretty informative too.)

Learn vi. You can manipulate text files faster at the command line with vi than you can with any other editor, with the exception of gvim. vi's keybindings are rediculously fast once you learn them.

-Brian
    Bones: P4 2.4GHz,512M RAM w/ 533 frontside,GeForce4 MX,40Gig HD
    Ultrablue: p4 2.2, 128M Ram, 60Gig HD

Wow, for anyone who has missed this in the earlier post links -g is great!

I think there should be a tips forum
    BaudBandit coming to a phone line near you.

I would appreciate, i'm sure others too. If people would explain what there tips do along with the tip makes things a lot easier
    My new Much Improved, Long waited, Website: http://www.mooktakim.freeserve.co.uk

My latest screen shot. Visit my My Server.

Registered Linux user #270049
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ** AMD Athlon XP 2001+, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler CNPS6000-CU, 3x 80mm Fans, ADSL Router, **
    -----------------------------------------------------

Debug

If u what to empty the boot record completly, maby u delete all files at the hd, but if u what to format it and i dont work, then u can use this program:

Take a Win98 startdisc and start from it, run debug

Write EXACLY as it says:

A 100
    INT 13

RAX
    RBX
    F 200 L 200 0
    RCX
    RDX
    P
    Q

This writes 0 at the disks first 512 bytes, if u what the second drive, change 0080 to 0081

WARNING: I DONT KNOW REALY SURE WHAT THIS DOES! I THINK IT JUST DELETES THE MBR! I DONT TAKE ANY RESPONSABILITY AT ME!

Have a nice day!

//linuxCommand

Originally posted by phlipant
    !w would work more easily
    ! followed by a letter recalls the last command
    starting with that letter. if an intervening command has a w, !wine will recall the last command with wine.
    I did not know that. Thanks!

Originally posted by godzakka
    'history' allows you to see all the commands you types into the console so far.

'dmesg' lets you see alot of sometimes helpful info about your computer

'|more' lets you go a page at a time, with 'f' being forward one whole page at a time.

'xf86cfg' allows you to see a very simple and powerful graphical interface to help you in setting up TV-out, dual monitors, and how your screens are configured (left to right, right to left, top and bottom, etc).
    After using the history command say you see a command you want to execute listed as the 17th item, simply type !17 to execute the command.

EDIT: Crap, should have read through the whole thread
    -------------------
    The first step in learning how to fly is mastering the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing.

history

you may have hit the ground on this one, but everyone is now typing the command history to realize how much easier it is to scroll through than the term window or using up arrow