Faint volume?

Thread: Faint volume?

Faint volume?

I have Linux RedHat 7.3 running on my Toshiba laptop, and my sound card IS installed...

If I put my ear right up to the speaker I can hear sound, but I CANNOT get the volume to raise at all. Control Panel, System, Sound Mixer, even the good ol' volume control button do NOTHING.

Is there something I am missing? Id love to be able to HEAR my Linux Is there a command or a program I need to run? Thanks in advance!!

Daniel

PS - Thanks for the help on finding sndconfig! It was able to tell me that my sound card was installed (which made me realize that the volume was REEEEEALLY low).

log-in as root, not that su nonsense..

aumix

could well do it..if not..I don't know,good luck with that
    Our diversity is our strength.

Outstanding!
    This also fixed my sound issues. Thx for the post.

faint volume in Slackware 8.1

I barely hear the volume and I don't have any clue as to where to look to turn it up. I'm sure its some .conf file somewhere. Just now sure where. The card in question is an es1370. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully helping me out.
    Caybil

Found a utility that works!
    http://laplace.snu.ac.kr/~wacko/howto
    /Sound-Playing-HOWTO-14.html
    Last edited by Caybil; 11-05-2002 at 12:33 AM.

Re: faint volume in Slackware 8.1

Originally posted by Caybil
    I barely hear the volume and I don't have any clue as to where to look to turn it up. I'm sure its some .conf file somewhere. Just now sure where. The card in question is an es1370. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully helping me out.
    Caybil

Found a utility that works!
    http://laplace.snu.ac.kr/~wacko/howto
    /Sound-Playing-HOWTO-14.html
    Did you try any of the suggestions posted above?

First try the sound mixer (KDE? Multimedia menu - sound mixer) and then also try aumix as suggested.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

I did try using the kmixer and couldn't see how to increase volume. I also looked for aumix by doing a updatedb and locate and could not find it. If you know the proper path to aumix, could you post it? It is in slackware 8.1, right? Thanks for you post.
    Caybil

Guess nobody else knows.

# whereis aumix

/usr/bin/aumix

Not sure about Slackware though as I've never used that distro.

If you ran updatedb, then locate aumix and still could not find aumix, I would think Slackware does not include it with their distro or aumix has not been installed from your installation cd(s).

Doesn't kmix have slider controls to adjust the volumes? It should.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas