help!sound problems.. dont have sndconfig total newb here ;)

Thread: help!sound problems.. dont have sndconfig total newb here ;)

help!sound problems.. dont have sndconfig total newb here ;)

hi i installed mandrake 9.0 last night .. took windows out totally because i have a seperate pc for that.. install went fine but my sound wont work.. i had a soundblaster audigy gamer card but i took that out a long time ago on windows because it never worked right even when i installed the drivers.. now its just got the onboard sound on there . I know its intel something but i dont know where to look on here to find out exactly what it is. THe sound will work SOMETIMES with gaim but when i put a cd in it shows it playing but no sound comes out .. anyone can help me ? thanks .

Look for your sound mixer. It'll be under multimedia or something in your menu's.

Sometimes the sound card works fine, but it's output chanel is muted. See if you can play with the mixer settings while a CD is playing.

You might get it there.

Otherwise, see if you can find any error messages in /var/log/messages (not sure how logs are done in mandrake though)

HTH and let us know how it turns out...
    What if the Earth were just a sub-atomic particle in a piece of dog crap in a much, much bigger universe....

iptables Router/Firewall Script

Oh, and welcome to LNO and Linux. Hope you enjoy your stay.

What if the Earth were just a sub-atomic particle in a piece of dog crap in a much, much bigger universe....

iptables Router/Firewall Script

/var/log/messages says permission denied or access deined.. even in root . i found the sound mixer thing your talking about but everything was fine there ..and nothing is muted . =\

What mixer (volume control) are you using? One of them has little red buttons by the slider that have to be pressed.
    How many CD players are there? Do you have a CDRW and a CDROM?
    Also, is the audio cable from the CDrom or CDRW player connected to the onboard sound connection?
    "Now that the kids are in jail, maybe we can take that vacation we always wanted."

im using kmix and i tried to press all those buttons but none of them worked.. there is a cable loose on the cd player ; P. but it worked before i installed linux so i dont get why that would make a difference.. i can try and connect it tho to see if it makes any kind of difference. And all i got on here is a cdrw .