what is my computer platform?

Thread: what is my computer platform?

what is my computer platform?

how do i figure out which platform i have ? i just desided to change my operating system from windows ME (the suckyist peice of **** this side of the planet) and i went to the linux website and i got as far as the menu for distributions and i dont know what platform my computer is. help me please.

The Linux website? Is there such a thing? I suppose there is an official website for the kernel, but there are many distributions of Linux. What site did you go to?

i have a VB-601-V mainboard and a intel celleron 333 mghz cpu and 2 hard drives and 256 mb memory.

Because you are using Windows XP, and don't KNOW what architecture you have, you have x86 architecture. Since you run XP, you're hardware is most likely i686 (vs. i386).
    Again, wild "educated" guesses...
    Hey! It compiles! Ship it!

Originally posted by alohatoyou
    i have a VB-601-V mainboard and a intel celleron 333 mghz cpu and 2 hard drives and 256 mb memory.
    i386

A general rule, if you don't know it's almost definatly x86 architecture
    Hug a geek, save a life...

i went to www.linux.org
    plus i just looked through my mainboard manual and i dont see where it says what my platform is.

x86, is a terminology that is used to describe processors, 386, 486, 586, 686. these are for pc's. if you have a mac, which you don't then it would be ppc. from the description that you gave earlier kam was correct with 386. so when you go to the distro's website (the one that you choose) go to the x86 directory.

i would recommend either, mandrake, red hat, or suse. these are the most new user friendly.
    my brain says that i'm an old man. my heart says that i'm a kid. i think i'll follow my heart.

do you follow the IPU?

It's an Intel x86 architecture, because all Intel chips are based on x86 chips, i.e. 80386, 80486 and so on. If Windows runs on it, you have an x86, not a PPC or an Alpha or anything else. Trust us, download the i686 ISO's.

ok, i didnt see x86 or i686 or i386 listed in the menu so i just chose the intel compatible catarogie.

Intel Celeron

Your Celeron is similar to a Pentium II processor. The latest Redhat and Mandrake versions will support your processor. Their web sites list min hardware requirements as well as a hardware compatibility list.