How to force BIOS to boot from CD?

Thread: How to force BIOS to boot from CD?

How to force BIOS to boot from CD?

Alright, here is the scoop. I just got some new (old, but new to me) laptops from a source, and I need to put slackware 8.1 on them... the problem lies in that their BIOS won't boot from a CD.

What should I do to get them to boot from a cd?

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT

Anyone?

If the bios doesn't support CD booting, then you aren't going to be able to do it. You will have to use a boot floppy and then use the CD.

Alrighty... where can I get a boot cd to do this... is there a tutorial or something?

And after I get it booted on the floppy, how do I install from the cd?

Well, I haven't done this with slackware, but I assume it works the same with most distros. On the first CD, they usually have a DOS utils directory. In that directory is usually a .img which is a floppy image. You will use RAWRITE which should be there to, to write the image to a floppy. Then you should be in business.

If those files aren't on CD, then check the slackware ftp site.

bootdisk

Have you checked on slackware's web site for instructions on how to create a bootdisk?

Well, I saw the list of Boot discs at the slacware site, but I didn't find any links to download them... It would be all to obvious that they were already on the cd that I downloaded