am i doing this right??

Thread: am i doing this right??

am i doing this right??

here is my fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /mnt/cdrom dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,uma
    sk=0 0 0
    none /mnt/floppy dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,u
    mask=0 0 0
    none /mnt/zip dev=/dev/sda4,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,uma
    sk=0 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umas
    k=0,exec 0 0

and here is the error i am getting while trying to mount:

[joe@LINUX-BOX mnt]$ mount /mnt/floppy
    mount: only root can mount none on /mnt/floppy
    [joe@LINUX-BOX mnt]$ su
    Password:
    [root@LINUX-BOX mnt]# mount /mnt/floppy
    mount: fs type umask=0 not supported by kernel

can someone help. i am not really sure what i am looking at here

can you explain what i am replacing or let me know where to go and get the info this way i may remember it. plus the fact that i am trying to learn all of the commands for linux and want to be the ultimate administrator (well atleast one that knows what he is talking about). thanks for the info.

Originally posted by JOES_BOX
    can you explain what i am replacing or let me know where to go and get the info this way i may remember it. plus the fact that i am trying to learn all of the commands for linux and want to be the ultimate administrator (well atleast one that knows what he is talking about). thanks for the info.
    man fstab
    man mount

you could also try:
    /dev/fd0 /floppy auto defaults,owner,noauto 0 0

^see the above 2 manpages for details.
    Hey! It compiles! Ship it!

fstab

Just curious as to what distro/version you are using. Are these the entries that the installer made or did you add/modify the file?

The only thing wrong with this:
    none /mnt/floppy dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

is the word none. Replace it with /mnt/floppy. The same goes for zip and cdrom lines. Replace none with /mnt/zip and /mnt/cdrom.

Delete the first zip line since you have two of them.

The entries that contain the word none are pseudo filesystems.

i am using Mdk 9. the only thing that i did was to remove the supermount. i was reading thru some of the other threads and i was able get that much. other than that. i am not really sure what i am looking at so i am warry at changing it.
    thanks i will take out the none.

There are several problems with this line.
    Code:
    none /mnt/floppy dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
    First, the device is normally specified in the first field, not the options. Second, the third field is normally used to specify the filesystem. I don't even see a "third field" in this entry. You need something between the mount point and the options. Thrid, the umask is a three digit octal nubmer. You shouldn't be setting it to a single digit value (although it might still work).

A better way to rewrite the above might be:
    Code:
    /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy  auto  iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=000  0  0
    Read the man page for fstab. This will break down what each of the six fields means. The man page for mount will detail what all the options in the fourth field mean.

MDK 9 and supermount

I assumed that version 9 was similar to version 8.2 and it isn't. I looked at a fstab from version 9 and it is the same as you posted except for the supermount. I still don't understand the umask=0 unknown fs type problem.

I see that different distro/version fstab files are just a little bit different. I didn't try this but this go ahead and add the supermount option back in. Then in a console ( might have to be root) type in this command

supermount -d

This will disable supermount which is what I assumed you wanted to accomplish. If that doesn't work then you might want look at Mandrake's web site to see if there are any issues on supermount.

Also see man supermount for further info.