Linux in Hollywood - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux in Hollywood

In Hollywood it looks like most of the computers they show are running fake programs on fake operating systems. And when people hack on movies it's all graphical, like screens with a skull and crossbones saying "Accessed Denied," or if they are trying to get around a firewall you see a brick wall that's on fire, then the wall collapses.

-|3v1L FLYiNG c0w|-

Intel 1800MHz (1.8GHz) Pentium 4
    768MB DDR RAM
    NVIDIA Geforce2 MX400 64MB
    (2 x 80GB) Hard Drives (160GB Total)
    24x/10x/40x CD-RW
    16x/48x DVD-ROM
    Ethernet Intel(R) PRO/100 VE
    ADSL 1.5MBs Down/256KBs Up

Originally posted by EvilFlyingCow
    In Hollywood it looks like most of the computers they show are running fake programs on fake operating systems. And when people hack on movies it's all graphical, like screens with a skull and crossbones saying "Accessed Denied," or if they are trying to get around a firewall you see a brick wall that's on fire, then the wall collapses.
    Totally agree with you. I would like to start seeing more movies with "real" operating systems or at least similars (like they used in Matrix Reload) btw, we don't know if it's linux or not.
    djserz.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won't save you from yourself..."

Real?

i think the purpose of a skull and crossbones shows the audience (99% of which don't know jack about computers - which is OK) that there is a firewall or other barrier that the 'hacker' must break through. having 'real' OSs and such would only distract from the real point of the story, by confusing the audience with technical jargon.
    Your distro is not better/worse than anyone else's. Unite!

RH9user | JL > DebianUser

Linux User: 307026
    Debian - Save yourself the hassle.

Reminds me of something off theregister.co.uk last year (a little off topic, but close enough).
    It refered to the first series of the TV show '24' (Kiefer Sutherland, FBI, blah blah blah) where the good guys used Apple Macs, and the bad guys used intel's.

I never got a chance to see the show, does this jog anyone's memory?
    Couldn't find the item at theregister, but found a similar page from another site here ;
    http://gpdpub.bizhosting.com/articles.html

Considering Linux is totally skinable/configurable/adaptable/break-mendable, I think we'll see a lot more of it on the big screen in the future, if we haven't already!

Writing this on a imac G4 running yd-linux, but still loving my debian/RH intel's.

Now, where did I put that cow?
    moo moo moo

Originally posted by serz
    Totally agree with you. I would like to start seeing more movies with "real" operating systems or at least similars (like they used in Matrix Reload) btw, we don't know if it's linux or not.
    Actually, in Matrix Reloaded, there is a shot where they are "hacking" and they are using nMap. You can see the screen shots of it over at insecure.org
    "68 65 63 6B 6C 65"

Well, there's a big reason for movies/TV episodes to have non-existant OS running on mystery hardware... to dramatize. Sure, it would be retarded to send email in caps and to have a client that shows an animation of an envelope opening and the letter popping out of it, but they do it to make it more visually effective.

If you notice, any aspect of a movie will have this. Action sequences, explosions, government covert ops, etc. It's all exagerated and fictous to serve the purpose of the movie: to entertain.

Quit nitpicking. It's almost as bad as that one guy who had several complaints about Matrix Reloaded. One of them was "All the sword sound effects sounded the same."

If you notice, any aspect of a movie will have this. Action sequences, explosions, government covert ops, etc.
    Not in GOOD movies :P

I believe that they were using at the least some variant of *nix on some of the computers in the movie adaptation of "The Bourne Identity" but I'm not sure of this, since I havn't seen it since its theatre release. Also, I've seen a couple documentaries where I've seen it being used.
    - fluxm

Originally posted by Charred_Phoenix
    That article was cool, thanks El_Cu_Guy
    I agree, that was a good read sad & funny at the same time

Thanks
    bosox
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

In X-men 2 William Striker's computer screen and theme looked suspiciously like some of those blackbox themes I see sometimes... and there must be some way to launch several programs with a single launcher...

The thing is, they want to make whoever's cracking look like they have 1337 ski11z to ph34r, so they have to give him some sort of a terminal to type on, as the general public just says, 'oh, no, a terminal! I can't use a terminal, he must be one of those hackers' or some equivelant (ok, I might be exaggerating). At the same time, they put in those basic animations (although sometimes Windows does that) so that it will be easier to understand, and they want to make the desktop look really cool.

virtual terminal+really cool destop looks like a Linux destop that some time has been spent on.

wow, this is long
    . : My Blog : : System specs (scroll down) : : Screenshots : .

"The world is like a giant puzzle; it's always easiest to fit where you belong."

Here are the NMAP pictures from Matrix:
    http://images.insecure.org/nmap/images/matrix/

The virus-making scene in swordfish is terribly hollowoodized. The main character is designing and 256-bit-encrypting (as if it matters how super-encrypted the virus is before it UNENCRYPTS itself and wreaks havoc on your computer) a worm/virus (forgot what they called it) by piecing together a graphical puzzle that is spread out across seven different monitors.

Not linux, but still pretty entertaining nonetheless.

All Ive noticed is GNOME and bash in Anti-Trust.

Speaking of "red hat coincidences", in the game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, according to the official game guide book, you can get two identicle suits in black or red that have the same sex appeal, however the hat in the game with the most sex appeal points is the red bowler/fedora but the black is one point less.
    Install the Justlinux.com search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox!

G4L: Your best friend and your worst enemy
    Distrowatch: (Nearly) Complete profile listing of popular Linux distributions
    Lest you want a tonguelashing, Read the posting guidelines first
    Jabber: creepyt at jabber.org IRC: #justlinux
    Now 100% MSTD free! Enjoy the onslaught of Microsoft transmitted diseases, suckers!

You know those "crime file" shows on the discovery channel.

There was one about the tracking and capture of mafiaboy back in 2001. They were using GNOME + Ethereal Maybe not Linux though....

I saw that episode on mafiaboy also, one of the experts on the show did have alot of Linux books on his shelf. If you want to see Linux on TV just check out the screensavers on tech TV
    They talk about Linux quite a bit
    Pull my finger!