Installing Mandrake 9.0 - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Installing Mandrake 9.0

I believe WindowsXP cd can be used to boot the machine and use "fixmbr" to reload the MBR so you can boot into WindowsXP. I suspect that RH has a similar capability. See below where I did a similar thing with MDK9.1.

The later versions of MDK (9.0 & 9.1) and probably earlier versions use LILO and not GRUB. RH uses GRUB. I like both GRUB and LILO as boot loaders but each has strengths and weaknesses. Here is a good link which discusses common Linux Bootloaders:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~lennartb/bootloaders/

I recently upgraded my experimental machine from Win98se & MDK8.0 to WindowsXP & MDK9.1.

It was quite an experience! I installed MDK9.1 first and it went well. Upgrading Win98se to WindowsXP, of course wiped out the LILO on the MBR and put it's own loader in which never recognizes other OpSys on the box. I was able to boot from the MDK9.1 cd and use the "rescue" option and recreate/reload the LILO and update the MBR. Now I have dual boot with WindowsXP and MDK9.1

Hi sonofwheel

Thanx for your explanations, they're very helpful. I had the same problems like WackyOldWiz - which just let me get rid faster of my WinXP and only run my Mandrake.

In other forums they're debating about the quality of Mandrake 9.1. Shall I upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1 in your eyes?

Cheerio

Parcival

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Cool The fog begins to clear.

Thanks to Sonofwheel for the link to a VERY useful document. Often find I can't see the wood for the trees but this one is well written and even the technobabble is understandable. Will report back on the lessons learned.

Meantime, just a thought for Parcival. I aim to help break the Gates monopoly, not just ignore it. Even Linux has its weaknesses and Windows has some strengths.

"Horses for courses" is my motto, which is great if you have the choice.

Dear WackyOldWiz

The reason why I changed from Windoze to Linux is because of all the TCPA discussion. I know understanding Linux is a lot of work, so I wanna force myself to make the change now rather than in a couple months when the situation forces every sane computer user to urgently do so.

Well, I better don't let my thoughts lead myself astray as we're here to discuss partitioning problems.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

I shouldn't need to ask but ...

Originally posted by Parcival
    Dear WackyOldWiz

The reason why I changed from Windoze to Linux is because of all the TCPA discussion.
    Just a quickie. TCPA ???

TCPA

Dear WackyOldWiz

Read this and you'll love your Linux more than ever:

Ross Anderson's TCPA FAQ

You may also read these:

Microsoft Palladium: A Business Overview

TCPA.org

These articles boosted my motivation to switch from XP to Linux without shedding a tear quite a bit!!!

To Parcival:
    I have not had enough experience with MDK 9.1 or 9.0 for that matter, to know if it is worthwhile to upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1. I have been very happy with 8.0 and only upgraded to 9.0 and 9.1 on my experimental machine. I still use 8.0 on my "production" machine.

to Sonofwheel:

Why's that? Did you run into any problems that made you keep 8.0? I heard that 9.1 has many nice new features, but is also less stable than earlier releases.

I have not upgraded from 8.0 because I have been to busy (read that as 'lazy') to do it. Actually, I have 3 machines. One with Win98se and MDK 8.0 (this one), one with Win98se and MDK 9.0 and my experimental machine with Windows XP Pro and MDK 9.1. I will upgrade my "production" machines when I feel comfortable with the new versions of the OpSys(s).

Bloody Mandrake

Hi all back again with a problem.....Havn't booted mandrake for a week...weekend off.... so thought I would have a play around.
    Switched to linux at boot options ....and I am back to where I was before...
    It stops halfway through loading with words along the line of "kernel panic..init not found... try something or other"
    Please please what is it this time? I am sure I havn't altered anything at all...have been using win98 all week...will post this in a new thread I think...
    geoff32

Geoff32,

Is there a disk in the floppy drive ???

Beauty of Linux

If you haven't been playing, it sounds like somebody has. Still, if a reinstall is necessary it'll be good practice and the advice is all in here isn't it?

NILS BASTARDII CARBORUNDUM

Oldbob....

no there are no floppies in the drive...only wish it was that simple ...we could all have a laugh...most of all silly me.

WackyOldWiz ...

no one has been playing it was password protected? It is my toy,it was only ever used accessed by myself...could only be accessed by myself......

But everytime I install.....walk away...come back...it does it again.

Does any one know what I am doing wrong?
    Or is there something I am just not doing to make it happen?
    Could it be my disks are at fault....somehow?

Who was it sang "there are more questions than answers"

Whats with the nils carborundum bastardiiii

is it Lifes a bastard then you die?

Oh you have to laugh..
    geoff32

Originally posted by geoff32
    Whats with the nils carborundum bastardiiii

is it Lifes a bastard then you die?
    Nope, but don't let it/them grind you down.

Who/what is the bastard?

not mandrake?

Linux...

is it a microsoft plot?

makes you think?

geoff32