Installing Mandrake 9.0 - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Installing Mandrake 9.0

geoff32, it's on your hard drive, but it's not configured yet. Unless you want to get your hands dirty, I wouldn't recommend messing with it.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

Smile

I would reccommend burning the third CD of Mandrake 9.1 especially if you want to recompile the kernel, but a lot of other valuable stuff is on that disc as well.

Cheers
    JohnB-Cairns (73yrs young)

The DESKTOP of the future is already here now..........MANDRIVA with KDE.

Saga continues...........

Here I go again...........
    Downloaded mandrake 9.1...first 2 disks (run out of disks)
    Went for an install...restarted PC with disk 1 in drive...it commenced to load."Please Wait Loading Program to Memory"
    took about 30 minutes..the red line very slowly making its way across the screen....and from there it slowed even worse.I was doing it in novice mode...got to the partition part and there was no option "to use the spare part" so I exited quickly,after refusing permission to overwrite whole drive several times but not being given another option.
    Dug out the Mandrake 9.0 disks and tried to install that...thinking to myself.....I could up grade to 9.1 later...after getting advice here.Misunderstood the part where it says over write whole partition,to mean overwrite the Linux partition.Not overwrite the whole drive ..........wipeing win 98 off it.
    So I am back here in Win 98 se after resetting the lot again.
    Arguements with wife/daughter...lost their music.
    Have nearly had enough of this now.
    Should I continue? How many times can I reinstall?
    I have done everything I believe to be correct...disc scan..defrag.
    .... expert mode....novice....I am really getting peed of now.
    I know it can be difficult to learn something new.....what have I done wrong this time?
    How can I close this thread and have a weekend off this computor?
    Geoff32

Do yourself a favour and BUY BUY BUY yourself a set of Mandrake 9.1´s set of 3 CDROMS from a Linux outlet. They don´t cost very much and you can be sure that they are OK. Compare that with what it has cost you so far in lost data and time and inconvenience.

When you install it DO NOT use the so called newbie install mode. That is where you went wrong in the first place. I am dual booting with Win2000 Pro and using 2 of 80Gb harddrives and I have no troubles installing at all. If you want more personal help then let me Know here and maybe we can swap E-Mail addresses and communicate directly. Just Linux might be able to suggest how we can do this without displaying our addresses here.

Cheers.
    JohnB-Cairns (73yrs young)

The DESKTOP of the future is already here now..........MANDRIVA with KDE.

geoff32,

Over the past weeks I have watched you go "from bad to worse" !!

I would suggest [as others have] a fresh start. I bought a used 10 gig Western Digital hard drive at a local computer show [flea market] for $30 [about 25 pounds].

This drive is Mandrake 9.0 ONLY. Mandrake installed as easily as a Windows OS. If there are "major problems" or I want a newer OS, Fdisk and format are no big deal and my Windows OS is safe on the "other" hard drive.

As Aussie John suggested, Mandrake 9.1 CDs can be bought here

http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/

for a couple of pounds. They cost me $2.49 total, but overseas shipping might be a little more.

Will do that then...

AussieJohn thanks for the offer...we can mail through this forum.

So you both think it maybe the quality of the disks that are in question?
    To be honest that thought went through my head...but was wanting to blame someone for my failure...and that was as good as anything.
    Maybe I have been pennypinching trying to do it this way,so will acquire some bought disks and try again with them.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    Geoff32

Originally posted by AussieJohn
    Just Linux might be able to suggest how we can do this without displaying our addresses here.
    Yup, geoff32 has it: Private Message. Just click on the "PM" button at the bottom of one of each other's posts to bring up a message composition window.

Or Visit the profile and its in there...you dont know where its going until they reply directly to you.
    Geoff32