Odd Samba login prompt on Windows -> IPC$

Thread: Odd Samba login prompt on Windows -> IPC$

Question Odd Samba login prompt on Windows -> IPC$

Hello! I am working a Dell rack server that I am setting up as a Samba file server.

What I have so far is a default smb.conf file, only the workgroup changed to DRAFT (it will be used in a drafting room.) The server and another Windows 98 box are connected to a 100/10 hub.

The server’s host name is ‘SERVER’ for now.

The 98 Box can see the domain Draft in Network Neighborhood, yet when I double-click on Draft to log on, I get a prompt with \\SERVER\IPC$ in the ‘user’ field only I can’t change it, I am stuck with it. There is a password field, but I have no idea what the password is.

What is the IPC$ user? Will I somehow become rich if I log in with it?

I would like to log in as a user on the Linux box (say Foo) and transfer files to their home (/home/foo).

Thanks!
    Last edited by SyntheticDNA; 02-10-2003 at 02:33 AM.

williamwbishop Guest

Re: Odd Samba login prompt on Windows -> IPC$

Originally posted by SyntheticDNA
    Hello! I am working a Dell rack server that I am setting up as a Samba file server.

What I have so far is a default smb.conf file, only the workgroup changed to DRAFT (it will be used in a drafting room.) The server and another Windows 98 box are connected to a 100/10 hub.

The server’s host name is ‘SERVER’ for now.

The 98 Box can see the domain Draft in Network Neighborhood, yet when I double-click on Draft to log on, I get a prompt with \\SERVER\IPC$ in the ‘user’ field only I can’t change it, I am stuck with it. There is a password field, but I have no idea what the password is.

What is the IPC$ user? Will I somehow become rich if I log in with it?

I would like to log in as a user on the Linux box (say Foo) and transfer files to their home (/home/foo).

Thanks!

IPC$ is a windows interconnect. Don't worry about it. Did you remember to create an account so that you can log in to the samba service?(i.e. smbuser ...)

$ smbpasswd -a foo

foot have to be a valid user on your system
    Linux. It is not meant to be easy.
    Its meant to work

Si queres preguntar en espanol entra a

http://foro.alkimia.com.py

1. Make sure user "foo" has a Unix account on the Linux box and a "home" directory (/home/foo).

2. Add a section in your smb.conf file for your "Home" share (use SWAT, if possible, its easier).

3. Populate your smbpasswd file from the terminal as root with the "smbpasswd -a foo" command, then you will be prompted to enter your password and confirm it.

4. Restart smbd and nmbd.

5. Reboot your Win98 box and login as user "foo" with the password that you selected.

6. Now go to Network Neighborhood and try to access your samba shares.

Thanks for your replies!

I have the Windows 98 box so that it does not prompt me at startup to login. It just boots up normally. Then I go to Network Neighborhood, click on Draft and, in theory, log in from there.

I just want a share in Network Neighborhood to copy files to.

Is this still workable?

Thank you again!

Should work, but you are still going to have to preform steps 1-4 first.

Ok, I tinkered around with it some more and I was not able to get anywhere.

Question:

2. Add a section in your smb.conf file for your "Home" share (use SWAT, if possible, its easier).

Yes, I am using SWAT. Sorry, I am a little confused by what you want me to do. What exactly do I need to change in the "Home" share?
    I believe there was a place to put in the home directories (path.) Should I put /home or /home/foo?

Here is an example (Google picture) of what it looks like: http://www.linux-magazin.de/Artikel/...mba/shares.jpg

I just need to find a good systematic tutorial.

Thank you for your patience

Yes, ypu need to enter the complete path to your "Home" directory into your smb.conf file by entering "/home/foo" in the "Path" section for that share. You need to be sure that the directory exists, first