Which version can I install

Thread: Which version can I install

Question Which version can I install

Hi,

I recently bought an new PC aan PPC from Eyetech. Build for the AmigaOne. But run under Unix and they have installed an PPC-linux version (a minimum-configuration).
    My question is: which is the latest version Of SuSe I can install and run on my PPC.
    And will i be able to run a Linux Windowsemulator for the use of
    Explorer (Which I need for my bankingbuisiness)

From what I have seen on other discussion lists, SuSE Linux PPC 7.3 should run on an AmigaOne. (Though someone can correct meif they know better.)

As for how well WINE will run, that's a whole other story. You'd have to check with SuSE and the Wine Project about that. Sure you can't use Mozilla as your browser?

Peace,
    Brian Proffitt
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux

Most likely hisbank will not like Mozilla...mine doesn't

You can try using Opera, it has a feature that allows it to mimic IE, so sites like this won't get upset because they don't know what your using.

With for IE in wine, I think Codeweavers has had some good sucess with it.

I am currently running YDL 2.3. I had a bit of comparability problem, or it might had been one of those things when you install Linux. I have a 7500, BTW.

The first thing you must be aware of when you install SuSE for PPC is that SuSE only provides FTP installation. Otherwise you will have to purchase their CDs.
    I have tried, numerous times, to install SuSE via FTP, but it hangs during the hardware recognition out of the installation. It was hanging for approximately 20 minutes. So, I gave up.
    I would like to try it again someday.

Howdy, this might be my first post but it wont be my last.

Personally I am fairly new to the linux world but I come from 2 years of OSX and am just tired of the proprietary software merry-go-round, and on that note.

I have 3 iMacs, 400 DV, 700 SE and 700 15" FP,I also have one G3 350 Powermac. I am in the process of setting up to host my own domain so I needed a distro that was easy to work with and install and run on all 4 machines. my choice, YDL.

I pretty much tried every distro for PPC and came back to YDL 2.3 for the simple fact it is fairly easy to find support for on the web. Having a G4 15" FP with a geforce2 I was also surprised to find that Altivec was supported from the get go.

Here's a couple of things i discovered while installing YDL 2.3.

1) Choose the Default Install option.

2) If your YDL partition is more than 5 megs, INSTALL EVERYTHING. You can always take out what you dont need or want later. Trust me on this one.

3) When it comes time to select your monitor, DONT let the installer do it, choose select from list, If you dont know exactly which monitor you have, there are several Generic options, find the one that most closely matches your monitor and use it.

4) When asked about hardware excelleration, click no, You can reconfigure that option later when you get a little better with the kernel.

5) Once you have installed YDL and are up and running, launch the Super User Konsole, type in your root PW and then run the following,

apt-get update

Let it do its thing. Then

apt-get upgrade

Answer yes when it asks about downloading files and let it do its thing.

You will have to run those commands twice but when its done you will have the most current updates from YDL.

Good Luck
    Last edited by RFU; 02-24-2003 at 07:27 PM.