WIN proxy for Linux connection problem

Thread: WIN proxy for Linux connection problem

WIN proxy for Linux connection problem

I've set up MDK 9.0 on a box separate from my WIN98 box with Comcast broadband. I installed the Analog X proxy (suggested here by -jallen) to make WIN be a proxy server for the two-pc network. All seems ok, but in Mozilla when I try to access a URL/site I get: "connection refused when attempting to connect..etc." Yet, the "online" icon down in the lower right-hand corner suggests all is working. The pcs ping each other ok. Any thoughts?

pcghost Guest
    Why use the windows box as the proxy? It is far more venerable to malicious use. I suggest a Squid (caching) or Privoxy (ad filtering) Linux based proxy. It negates using virus scanners and will be more robust. I know nothing about proxies for windoze, sorry. I think there is a version of privoxy that runs on windoze though.

In your internet browser, like mozilla or netscape,
    U have to go in Edit/Preferences/Advanced/proxies

So you write here the IP and the port of the PC which have windows and proxy started.
    Exemple for a windows PC : 192.168.0.1 port 6588 (it's the port given by analogx) .
    Apply the changes and it will be ok.

For my part, I want do the same thing but I WANT a ANALOGX for Linux ;-)

I did exactly as you suggested. And still got the same result. That's why I'm stumped.