lniux on imac flat screen

Thread: lniux on imac flat screen

lniux on imac flat screen

I have been looking for a good distro of linux for my imac flatscreen 17" Ihave tried mandrake 8.2 ppc (the screen would split in to starting from the middle going left and finishing on the right at the middle) i was told mandsrake doesn't like the geoforce 4 mx that came wiht the machine

I next tried yellow dog still no luck (the screen looks eihter like it won't change resolutions or colour depth) again after some research i found dl doesn't like the geforce 4

tried mklinux it would't work

couldn't get gentoo up n running

and aboutot try debian my ? is does anyone know of any istro's that work wihmy machine/screen/vid card? or know of any fixes?

also linux ppc is it owrth even d/l and can suse be downloaded or is it a retail version only

I believe GeForce 4 is not supported by Linux for PowerPC, yet.
    However, there might be something coming out soon. There are quite a number of people suffering from the same problem.

Sorry. Not very satisfactory, but at least you may stop searching for now.

Whether it is worth installing Linux in your Mac is up to your personal taste I suppose.
    I have an old 7500, which I have rescued from becoming a door stopper. Needless to say that I am quite happy about that. I own a G4, which runs OS X exclusively, and I am quite happy with OS X for what it does. I have no immediate future plans to install Linux in my G4.
    So, is it worth it? I don't know. I really cannot answer that question for you. I have a go on it, when it becomes available, and if you to like it get rid of it.

Hitchhiker is correct, I fear. Unless a solution has come out very recently, the GeForce 4 card isn't supported on LinuxPPC yet.

I'd Google for this once in a while to see if there are any new developments.

Peace,
    Brian
    Managing Editor
    JustLinux

darwin and gnu-darwin or bsd

since at the moment I can't get linux running on my Imac

does anyone kow if darwin or prefered gnu-darwin will run on it and if so a link to d/l the gnu-darwin for ppc (i have an image but's it's in nero anyone know how to burn nero .nrg on mac?) the links for it off of the home page are dead

or does anyone know if there are any bsd flavors that will run on my mac/vid card

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

You might find some information there. I hope.

I have just found out that Terra Soft is selling G4 iMacs preinstalled with YDL 2.3, and those iMacs are equipped with GeForce 4. However, they did not mention 17 inch widescreen monitors.

Perhaps, you could consult people at Terra Soft directly.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/apple/