Probs running X w/ Red Hat 8.0

Thread: Probs running X w/ Red Hat 8.0

Probs running X w/ Red Hat 8.0

So I can't make X run on my Red Hat 8.0 installation. I've got the Linux shell, and can navigate it without problem or error. But whenever I try to run X--notably including when I tell Linux to boot into X--the screen will adjust to the new resolution setting, and I will get the "X" pointer, but the background will be garbled mess and the system will hang to the point where I have to manually shut the power down.

I've tried a bunch of stuff, and I'm really not sure what's wrong. It MAY be my graphics setup: Linux doesn't auto-detect the right graphics card, and it REALLY screws up when I just let it go with the default. I'm running

PIII, I forget the exact speed, but well over 300MHz
    128 Mb RAM
    Radeon 7500 PCI Bus card, 128 Mb VRAM
    Compaq P50 monitor--Linux doesn't recognize it precisely, though it doesn't call it an "unrecognized monitor"
    19Gb hard disk, partitioned to about 10/9 Gb Win ME/Linux

I was going to try just using my original graphics card, to see if I could make Linux work with it, but for some reason, it won't send signals to the monitor at all, so that's pretty much a no-go.

Another note--it's definitely not anything wrong with the software, because my roommate was able to install Linux onto 2 computers with no problem either time. It's not the partitioning, because the second one he did was partitioned in much the same way mine is. (He also did all this in about 15 hours less time than I spent trying to make Linux work at all...) In fact, the only differences between his computer and mine are the monitor, graphics accelerator, and the fact that mine has a cable modem attached (plus a few very small hardware discrepancies).

Help?

You might want to download the drivers for that card from ATI. They have hardware accelerated drivers available for that specific card that may fix your problems.

http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html

Also search the JL forums for 'radeon' or '7500' and you may find previous threads that will offer other suggestions.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

Your saying that it doesn't probe your monitor correctly? Find the refresh rates for the monitor, and the min max resolution it can support and make sure tat during installation it is set properly. You know how the only difference between your pc and your friends are the graphics card and monitor. Those are the culprits. Im thinking its your graphics card more then the monitor. Does the display work properly in Windows ME? If so, then double check the graphics drivers. Your video card is in the list of drivers. Make sure however that you set the amount of ram to the correct amount when selecting the video driver. Hope I helped.
    Propagate Open Source - Pay for it!
    Windows is a stable operating system...
    when kept sealed in original packaging.
    My only problem is that windows doesn't deliver. I get fatal errors that don't kill any one, and illegal operations that don't get any one arrested. I mean, am I supposed to use an OS whos errors are problematic?
    Athlon XP (Barton) 2500+(AO-1.833ghz)
    2048 MB PC2700 333mhz DDR-SDRAM (Two DIMMs, room for one more)
    ATI RADEON 9000 pro 64mb ddr-sdram
    2 40GB Maxtor (and proud) -->1 80GB hd (RAID 0)
    1 60GB Maxtor hd (ide)
    1 80GB Maxtor hd (8MB cache)
    Full size ATX Soltek SL-75FRV w/ AGP 8X, 5 PCI
    Antec True430 Power Supply
    Antec PlusView 1000AMG SOHO File Server Case (Blue LED Fan)
    Mandrake 9.1 (Kernel 2.4.21)

ATI doesn't have drivers unless you have a Radeon 8500 or greater. I have a 7200/7500 AGP(they're almost identical) and mine works fine. Try disabling plug and play in the BIOS, then tell your computer to use PCI videocards first, not AGP. I know the card is supported and works, so there must be a way to fix this. Also, if you have windows still on your system: does the videocard still work in windows?
    What's the Difference between a Scottsman and a Rolling Stone? The Rolling Stone says "Hey, you, get off my cloud!" and the Scottsman says "Hey, McCloud, get off my Eu"

Talking Got it workin!

Thanks to all for your help--I've managed to strongarm it into working. For whatever reason, the anaconda XTest program would just not call the right drivers... don't really know why. But FOR ANYONE WHO IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEIR RADEON 7500 CARD AND X:

1) Login as root
    2) type 'xf86config'
    3) Play with your options.

Selecting the Radeon 7500 worked for me in getting X to call the right driver. Too bad I don't know what my monitor refresh rate is, so I have to keep playing with it. If you have that info handy, I suggest you get it, 'cause it'll save you some red eyes. But that got my system up and running. The 'firstboot' program won't auto-load, so if you want to register with Red Hat (or whomever--I installed Red Hat 8.0), you'll have to do it manually. Nonetheless, after probably 30+ hours of work, it's a good feeling to see that GUI. (Too bad I figured out how to use the shell in the interim, and can now legitimately look down my nose at GUI-users...)

Re: Got it workin!

Originally posted by Baldmeistr
    Too bad I don't know what my monitor refresh rate is, so I have to keep playing with it. If you have that info handy, I suggest you get it, 'cause it'll save you some red eyes.
    All you need to do is search the web.

Just ONE of the Google search results for 'Compaq P50'.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas