New Linux OS

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Linux OS

Hybrid View

oubipaws Guest

Talking New Linux OS

To All,
    If this sort of message shouldn't be posted in this forum, then I'm very sorry to the moderator.

Heres my question to everyone, would anyone be interested in re-writing the linux kernel as a new os that would be able to run Windows, Linux, and Apple software. Another thing I would like to be able to do with this OS is to create two GUI's... One similar to KDE, the other is one where everything is like a 3d desktop in which you move around and open drawers and such to open folders. Anyway, I'm looking for a development team of roughly 10 members to help me out with this.
    If you are interested or want more info, please feel free to email me at oubipaws@techie.com

Thanks,
    Nick Mercer

wouldnt it be easier to port with netbsd, since it can pretty much already run darwin binaries, run linux programs, unix programs, the hardpart would be the mac stuff and windows stuff, not easy without emulation, which would kill performance

This sounds like a fun idea, although I don't know if I'm talented enough to really help out. I'd do what I could though. I'm just curious how legal everything is. It seems to me that if there was no laws protecting Microsofts formats, another corporation would have already done this. Am I mistaken?

Check your email though Nick.
    Linux User # 297035
    Linux: the choice of a GNU generation

oubipaws Guest
    I'm not exactly the most talented coder out there either, I just see this whole project as a challenge and something fun to waste my free time with.

As for the legalness of the whole thing, not quite sure on all of this yet, the main thing for the OS is still the whole 3D desktop system, but I would like to be able to do the emulation. There most likely are laws protecting binaries for microsoft, but with things such as wine, I see no reason why we couldn't build one?

As for porting BSD, I'm personally never used it, I'll have to look into porting somethings onto it.

[Nick Mercer]
    oubipaws@techie.com
    or
    somewhereIbelong@hotmail.com

Personally, I think your guys are in for more than you've bargained for...

Originally posted by dungscooperdave
    Personally, I think your guys are in for more than you've bargained for...
    Far more It will be neat to see what happens.

And if anything, I would think just implement the ability to run the mac binarys from darwin, and then simply work on the win32 binaries. If anything, work on a way to get the windows dlls to be added directly as modules. that would be neat (and a hack )
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Originally posted by sharth
    Far more It will be neat to see what happens.
    Yes.

i'd buy it... think I could talk you guys into making the mascot for this into a duck???
    Ahflack!!! quoteth that fuzzy white winged thing from the inusrence commercial... what was the name of that company again?

4_legged_duck, you wouldn't happen to be from Oregon, would you?

oubipaws Guest

Talking ...

haha, a duck, haha i like it, question is can you design it?

as for the whole OS, instead of re-writing the kernel, why not just start a new project for a new linux distribution with the 3d desktop and with the possibilities to run windows and mac programs.

I agree with you guys that say we are in way over our heads, haha no kidding... but what is this darwin thing you guys keep talking about? Something to do with BSD? I've never personally used BSD, always used Red Hat or Slackware...

Originally posted by dungscooperdave
    4_legged_duck, you wouldn't happen to be from Oregon, would you?
    nay, i'm in denver... I got the name from a picture on my desktop... and no I can't design it, but I can get it designed, really quickly too. My girlfriend is an artist.
    Ahflack!!! quoteth that fuzzy white winged thing from the inusrence commercial... what was the name of that company again?

oubipaws Guest

Smile the duck

you give me a pic, then yeah, I dont care, I guess every os needs a mascot right?

oh yeah, would anybody be willing to set up a linux box for us? so called sponsor us, except you'd only be giving us a server... Nothing fancy, just a old box with like a 5 gig hard drive and a a basic linux install, apache, php 4, mysql...
    If you could help me out with that part I would be really thankful, if your interested please email me at:
    somewhereIbelong@hotmail.com

[Nick Mercer]

darwin is the underlying unix layer of the mac os x series, its based on freebsd, its opensource so you can do whatever you want with it, right now there is a project with netbsd to port in darwin and make it run macosx binaries but its far from anything more than just getting a few simple console apps to recognize the core

oubipaws Guest

Talking

so darwin would be able to run "some" mac apps correct? If so thats awesome, because then we could just build the os with a linux kernel, port darwin, and then build a windows emulator into the os.... Very interesting

yeah, it's being worked on... say, do you think you could save me some trouble and build an msn messenger client into the system??? please!!!!