New Linux OS - Page 5

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New Linux OS

Remember, kids. We still need to plan out how to put together a distro (said the crusty school-marm.)
    Surgeon General's warning: erroneous commands are not strictly endorsed for mass usage.
    http://www.yinrunning.com

oubipaws Guest

Talking keep us in line

yeah, we have to keep our heads in the right area.... but "all work and no play does the body bad :P "

anyway... heres what I'm thinking, why don't we build a very basic os, just a kernel, gcc, basic stuff, and a simple gui like windowmaker, and work from there... anybody got any better ideas?

cool. Give me something to do, boss.
    Surgeon General's warning: erroneous commands are not strictly endorsed for mass usage.

oubipaws Guest
    Ok... newest info:

I'm picking up a old box from my friends house on monday when he gets back, here are the specs:
    2 gig hard drive
    32 mb ram
    133 mhz (yay :P )
    10/100 ethernet card

just a basic crap computer that I can run LFS on, and then connect to my dell to do work with. We need to decide on versions and what files to include in the first beta release... kernel version, gui, and things like that.

after that, on tuesday when I go back to school I'll upload it to somewhere (someone want to tell me where?) and then we can all start digging in to what we are comfortable working on... sound good?

Re: ...

Originally posted by oubipaws
    haha, a duck, haha i like it, question is can you design it?

as for the whole OS, instead of re-writing the kernel, why not just start a new project for a new linux distribution with the 3d desktop and with the possibilities to run windows and mac programs.

I agree with you guys that say we are in way over our heads, haha no kidding... but what is this darwin thing you guys keep talking about? Something to do with BSD? I've never personally used BSD, always used Red Hat or Slackware...
    cant do its not not legal.your talking about closed source code here.theres wine, and winex ,and why the hell anyone would want to emulate mac programs is beyond me!

better yet give up windows fully.youll see in the future more linux games on the market!just give it time!M$ is going to hang themselves with longhorn.personally dont hate M$ its just the whole system sucks.anything i cant do in M$ i can always do in linux.

better yet think about creating your own linux distro along your lines of thought!
    check out evil entity goto www.undeadlinux.com

oubipaws Guest
    what is closed source code? the kernel? wine? darwin?

As for why would anyone personally want to port mac programs.. maybe because some people have macs, and maybe the would like to try linux but are afraid to jump over due to they dont want to loose their current software. Also the same goes for windows people, i dont like windows, but thousands of people do, and they will not switch unless they can use windows apps.

better yet think about creating your own linux distro along your lines of thought!
    what exactly do you mean by that?

build your own distro

build your own distro with mac and windows emulation!

if you can code well then code a distro from scratch!

you may think you cant but i think you can do it!!

good luck

oh and after your success i want a cut!
    check out evil entity goto www.undeadlinux.com

eh, that illegal code has to be out there somewhere... I'm sure with the way that people are corrupt (you know who you are)
    Ahflack!!! quoteth that fuzzy white winged thing from the inusrence commercial... what was the name of that company again?

oh and after your success i want a cut!
    NO CHEERING!!! JUST HELPING!!!!

Spectacle

It's like watching a car racing towards a cliff and you could yell out but you kind of want to see it.

I would be interested in designing the WebSite if you wouldn't mind? Also, if you need some graphics I have done a lot of graphics design (most recent job was for a group at NASA-Goddard...but the site isn't complete yet). Hit (e-mail) me back if you are interested please...

Later,

Adam
    ***I have a lot of computers...currently at TEN, and I am trying to setup a cluster. ALL HELP IS WELCOME!

***I work for a large Corporation supporting an AS400 and roughly 300 UNIX boxes...

**Registered Linux User: #371879

IRC: StylusEater

I want to help too.

I don't know how to code. But i can help with testing and writing the documents.

But now, becuase i've got exams. But once you have that first beta going. I'll be there to test it

Maybe even, try to code some of it (only small bits, i don't know much, but i'm a fast learner when i have a goal to aim at)
    My new Much Improved, Long waited, Website: http://www.mooktakim.freeserve.co.uk

My latest screen shot. Visit my My Server.

Registered Linux user #270049
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ** AMD Athlon XP 2001+, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler CNPS6000-CU, 3x 80mm Fans, ADSL Router, **

ALSO:

We need to setup IRC, or someother chat service. So that we can discuss together in realtime.

We need a leader!

we need someone who is in contact of everyone, and knows whats going on. We can't just jump into this, without a leader. It will come apart very soon. Every one would want there own way.

We need some kind of structure.

I have lots of ideas to contribute. I will contribute them once the first beta comes out.

PS: when i said a "leader" i don't mean me
    But its nice to know that people thought about that
    Last edited by MMA; 03-01-2003 at 07:41 AM.
    My new Much Improved, Long waited, Website: http://www.mooktakim.freeserve.co.uk

** AMD Athlon XP 2001+, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler CNPS6000-CU, 3x 80mm Fans, ADSL Router, **

It seems that http://www.dux.org and http://www.dux.com is available

Re: New Linux OS

Originally posted by oubipaws
    If this sort of message shouldn't be posted in this forum, then I'm very sorry to the moderator.
    Just to answer your question concerning whether posting this type of question in /dev/random is appropriate.

Actually this type of question is perfect for the new improved /dev/random and exactly what we would like to see /dev/random to be used for.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas