ntfs write unstable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ntfs write unstable?

Hybrid View

ntfs write unstable?

has anyone tried writing to an ntfs partition? i've read that its unsafe and unstable and still experimental but i have no problems reading from it and i'm wondering if the warnings are for the ultra paranoid who can't stand rebooting more than once a year and thats only after seven kernel recompiles a power outage and a flash flood or two so i'm llooking for any kind of horror stories or problem free experiences any of you may have had and can share
    Please use your spare cpu cycles to help a good cause (its free!!1)... http://folding.stanford.edu

BSD, Java, and Functional Programming fan.

My understanding is that you risk doing serious damage to your (presumably) windows partition doing that.

My advice is to create a 'shared partition' that's FAT32......that way both OS's can read and write with no probs

p.s. w00t 400th post

the "problem" is that microsoft has slightly changed NTFS with each version of NT from 3.51 to Win XP and they don't release information on the inner workings of it therefore whatever developers are working on NTFS support for the Linux kernel don't ahve all the information and are also porting an ever-changing standard.

if you enable writing to NTFS make sure you ahve a backup of your data because you will destroy it in all likelyhood.

well i tried going the fat32 route but my partition is too big its for my shared media between linux and windows and windows can read ext3 (or is there a way? if so that would solve the problem too...)

i've heard that beofer so 'm looking for ACTUAL experiences with

but also is this damage supose to be physical or logical? and if logical is itthe whole drive or just the partition? (ie will i lose every partition on the same drive)
    Please use your spare cpu cycles to help a good cause (its free!!1)... http://folding.stanford.edu

Originally posted by CaptainPinko
    well i tried going the fat32 route but my partition is too big its for my shared media between linux and windows and windows can read ext3 (or is there a way? if so that would solve the problem too...)

i've heard that beofer so 'm looking for ACTUAL experiences with

but also is this damage supose to be physical or logical? and if logical is itthe whole drive or just the partition? (ie will i lose every partition on the same drive)
    Thats why I got a seccond HDD. I have the OSs on one and the data on the seccond. And if I destroy an OS there is no danger to the data, especially if I have to format or something
    :wq

Unhappy

student==poor;
    if (poor) {2ndHDD = pipeDream;}

Are you tring to get your PhD in computer science or something, accoring to your signature you have an honours in computer science I or something??

And I'm a student too, but in grade 10, and I worked for my HDD (but then again I'm living at home and I don't have to worry about all those expenses, I don't mean to sound cockey or better than you or something)

RedHat 8.0 (Psyche)
    1.2 GHz Athlon Thunderbird
    512 MB RAM

RedHat 8.0 (Psyche)
    2.4 GHz P4
    1 GB RAM
    You've got some good computers thou

Originally posted by Cerf
    Are you tring to get your PhD in computer science or something, accoring to your signature you have an honours in computer science I or something??
    honours I means i'm in the first year of an honours program and even after that i need like another 5 to get a phd at least, but yeah i hope so

And I'm a student too, but in grade 10, and I worked for my HDD (but then again I'm living at home and I don't have to worry about all those expenses, I don't mean to sound cockey or better than you or something)
    i live at home to, i just have a lot of work and tons of other hobbies so i don't have a job tho i will in the summer

You've got some good computers thou
    well there my dads so i can't get whatever i want, i'm jsut lucky my dad likes snazzy boxes

honours I means i'm in the first year of an honours program and even after that i need like another 5 to get a phd at least, but yeah i hope so

i live at home to, i just have a lot of work and tons of other hobbies so i don't have a job tho i will in the summer

well there my dads so i can't get whatever i want, i'm jsut lucky my dad likes snazzy boxes
    Cool, I wana get my honours or PhD in computer programming later, but for where I want to go (University of Waterloo) I'm going to need to work my but off. I'm going to need a 90 average, I got an 85 now but that kinda sucks.

I've got almost 0 work to do at home, only to cut the grass in the summer, and clean the pool, and in the winter, shovel the driveway and mabie wash the dishes if I have time.

Your alittle luckey thou, my parents have almost now idea how to use a computer, so if I want to get one, I have to work for exactly what I want.

waterloo has a reputation for being over competitive so that ppl will actually sabotage others just to be at the top, i've heard similiar stories from ppl at mc master but CAVEAT EMPTOR is the expression i think...

disclaimer: i go to neither so i can't vouch for accuracy, just what i've heard

waterloo has a reputation for being over competitive so that ppl will actually sabotage others just to be at the top, i've heard similiar stories from ppl at mc master but CAVEAT EMPTOR is the expression i think...

disclaimer: i go to neither so i can't vouch for accuracy, just what i've heard
    I've never heard of that, and I live realivitly close. And I've also been there and I have talked to some of the students, In the summer thou. But it is certainly possible, and any code that I make will be uploaded to my computer asap (I do that now at high school because there network security sucks). I'll check it out, I've got some friends there.

you can read ext2 partitions from windows (and if you can read ext2 partitions, you can read ext3's too). there are multiple programs for it - i just always forget their names. look for them on freshmeat.net.
    as for writing to ntfs: the developers consider it pretty stable now, but a backup would be nice if the data is important
    check out their irc-channel #ntfs on irc.freenode.net (or did they move to irc.oftc.net, too?) and ask them their opinion. they are very helpful.
    We are proud to say that no tests have been made on animals to provide you this post. Also, we can assure you that if it would be necessary to do tests, we wouldn't use penguins for it.
    Disclaimer: the author of this post is NOT responsible for any moral and/or physical damage this post could cause to you.

Write for the LNO magazine!
    Catalogued Collection of Annotated Examples - CodeExamples.org
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - definitely read this

the data that is on the ntfs partition is a collection (legally obtained of course!) mp3s so it would be rather wasteful to back everything up, should a write-error occur would it happen to the data itself or the fat? b/c i can live with missing a few songs but if i lost all of the in one fall swoop i'd be rather pissed

I'm not sure, but I'd say you can break both the partition or just a song but that's it's most likely to break just a song.
    We are proud to say that no tests have been made on animals to provide you this post. Also, we can assure you that if it would be necessary to do tests, we wouldn't use penguins for it.
    Disclaimer: the author of this post is NOT responsible for any moral and/or physical damage this post could cause to you.

Write for the LNO magazine!
    Catalogued Collection of Annotated Examples - CodeExamples.org
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - definitely read this

Why don't you make a ntfs partition to mess around with and put no sensitive data on it, just text files?? Once you know its stable then use the ntfs write capibility to your main ntfs partition