ntfs write unstable? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ntfs write unstable?

Just because you happen to have luck while testing doesn't mean you're safe afterwards...
    Just use an ext2/ext3 partition, since you said that was fine too, if you can those partitions from windows (which you can, as I said before).
    We are proud to say that no tests have been made on animals to provide you this post. Also, we can assure you that if it would be necessary to do tests, we wouldn't use penguins for it.
    Disclaimer: the author of this post is NOT responsible for any moral and/or physical damage this post could cause to you.

Write for the LNO magazine!
    Catalogued Collection of Annotated Examples - CodeExamples.org
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - definitely read this

the only program i could find was
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm
    and when i ran it on my computer it did not recognise any of my ext3/ext2 partitions, it merely labelled them as unknown.... do you have and tips or know of any other apps that i could use
    Please use your spare cpu cycles to help a good cause (its free!!1)... http://folding.stanford.edu

BSD, Java, and Functional Programming fan.

I remember hearing something of like ext2explorer or something along those lines.
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

It should be Explore2fs rather than the ext2ifs link quoted above.
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.

I would use a fat32 partition as a share. Don't you think that when the linux kernel programmers say, "don't write to ntfs - it can screw stuff up", they know what they are talking about?

Originally posted by fishhead
    I would use a fat32 partition as a share. Don't you think that when the linux kernel programmers say, "don't write to ntfs - it can screw stuff up", they know what they are talking about?
    AFAIK the linux-ntfs driver/project has matured *a lot* these days, and the warning in the 2.4.x branch might be outdated. I vaguely remember something about a new version being integrated in the 2.5.x branch, not sure of what I'm saying though
    We are proud to say that no tests have been made on animals to provide you this post. Also, we can assure you that if it would be necessary to do tests, we wouldn't use penguins for it.
    Disclaimer: the author of this post is NOT responsible for any moral and/or physical damage this post could cause to you.

Originally posted by jglen490
    It should be Explore2fs rather than the ext2ifs link quoted above.
    explore2fs that's the one! when people ask about viewing ext2/3 partitions under windows, this one gets recommended the most... heard some good things about it.

for the OP: just noticed this
    check out their irc-channel #ntfs on irc.freenode.net (or did they move to irc.oftc.net, too?) and ask them their opinion. they are very helpful.
    I meant #linux-ntfs

Originally posted by CaptainPinko

well there my dads so i can't get whatever i want, i'm jsut lucky my dad likes snazzy boxes
    Your dad likes snazzy "boxes"? LOL