JustLinux? Linux Today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JustLinux? Linux Today?

JustLinux? Linux Today?

JustLinux? Linux Today?

The name doesn't fit when articles are posted that have nothing to do with Linux and promote upgrading to a newer version of Windows:

http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure...42900526OSSVNT

C'mon more Linux, less Microsoft. It seems 25% of the headlines have Microsoft in them which is great free advertising for M$.

I complained about the content of the article in the comments and the managing editor more or less flamed me about it:

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php...-OS-SV-NT-0003

Clue: Apache-->Open Source. Something we also cover from time to time.
    It is true that Apache is Open Source (although not GPL, not that it matters in this case) and I think Apache+PHP are outstanding projects. It is true that Linux is also Open Source, but Linux and Open Source are not synonymous.

That article explains how to install Apache+PHP on proprietary Windows and having no reference to Linux whatsoever, in fact states if you are on Win9x you should upgrade to WinNT/2k/XP. ??? This is just not something I would expect to see, nor do I want to see, on "linuxtoday.com" or "justlinux.com".

If the article had been about configuring Apache on Linux then it would be perfectly appropriate. The article in it's entirety would have been perfectly appropriate on "apachetoday.com" but not on "justlinux.com" or "linuxtoday.com" in my opinion. Maybe I'm off base but I would like to hear other's opinions.

If you are censored here you can respond in a thread on my forum:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums...354&highlight=

I'm not saying that you would be censored here but the comments on linuxtoday.com take about 24 hours in my experience to get through the censor filter and my last response never did make it (which was much lighter than my original comment). I don't know, maybe I'm just too sensitive about it...

I don't see a problem with it. The article is posted on LinuxToday, which is not JustLinux. The fact that MS gets articles posted is so we can still keep up with whats going on everywhere else. Linux is a small world and MS is huge, if you know of any Linux based businesses in the Chicago area, let me know

The article explains how to install Apache (and Open Source program that has been ported to Windows) and PHP (ditto). If it helps people to start using Apache and stop using IIS, it's a great thing. IIS servers are still cluttering my web logs from Code Red and nimda...the less IIS server out there the better

i think maybe you need to calm down a bit....many times people seem to use open source and linux as the same thing....not always correct but to have a page that only speaks about linux there wouldnt be enough news every day....i agree that an article about using windows is a bit off for a linux site but remember that there are some people out there who dont have the option of 100% linux and would like to use open source whereever they can....and i sincerly doubt that they would find much help from microsoft about apache
    Linux is not a crime

The headline also appeared on the front page of JustLinux.com which is why I posted here (even though I didn't mention it). My point is, there are a gazillion Windows sites out there that Windows users go to, in fact leaving the original article where it was is just fine (on zdnet). You could have replaced that article with this one:

"Do a default install of any major Linux distribution and you will have a working Apache+PHP system out of the box".

Would you expect to see the above article on a Windows site like http://www.windowsmagazine.com/? LinuxToday and JustLinux should be promoting Linux rather than upgrading to yet another version of Windows which is what the article tells you to do. I would never think about going to a Linux site to learn about how to install Apache on Windows. I certainly would consider going to apachetoday.com.

As far as I'm concerned the number of headlines that are now scrolling across LinuxToday.com has reduced it's quality significantly. By the time you actually get a comment posted (if you get it posted) it has already rolled off the front page. My vote is for less content of higher quality.

The argument "there is more Windows out there so we have to report on it" is a sellout.

I agree with you Void. The less I see about MS, the better. But on the other hand, mahdi makes a good point too. I guess getting rid of IIS is kind of like, destroying Windows from the inside-out. I dunno, you both make good points. Maybe if so many Linux users didn't use MS it wouldn't be an issue. If we want to get rid of things like this, maybe we should encourage each other to be truely MS free a rid ourselves of the beast all together. (Personally, I'm all for it)

well if you feel the value is missing then you are welcome to start your own site that contains the content you want...or take the good content with the bad...the way life intended....any site that tries to cater to a diverse audience is bound to displease some....so basicly you either need to find a site that satisfies your elitist/purest views or cope with what life gives you like every one else does and quit whining

just my 2 cents
    Linux is not a crime

Hey, anytime that we can prove that open source is better than closed source software is just another death blow to M$. If it is proven that apache can do the job better that IIS then people will move away from Bill and his Bloat filled garbage.

I feel you. Have you noticed the M$ adverstisement that appears on the top of this page. Maybe not. Get a load of that.

EVAC

MooJuice, were you dropped on your head as a child? This has nothing to do with elitist views, you are just like those people that play the race card as the first card out of their hand.

All indications are that this is a Linux site, I expect Linux. I don't expect to see LINUX HOWTOs on Windows sites and I don't expect to see Windows HOWTOs on Linux sites. And I do have my own "elitist" site thank you very much. It's the kind of place where a n00b Linux user can go and get some real help with Linux rather than read articles suggesting that instead of switching from Windows 9x to Linux they should instead upgrade to Windows XP.

This used to be a haven for Linux news, now it's just a Microsoft sellout with Microsoft trolls like MooJuice (you started the name calling).

As far as the Microsoft advertisements, I don't see them:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat..._adzapper.html

Maybe you should start putting useful articles like that up on the site.

first off yes i was dropped on my head as a child...its fairly common i'm told....second off....i never called anyone any names...i suggested an 'elitest/purist site' and i do think articles like that are not Necessarily sell out indicators...this is a site for noobs....which i myself am...and many 'noobs' do end up having to run slpit environments....helping them make a smooth transition is not selling out it is helping people make the most out of their environment....i see it as helping someone use an open source tool somewhere they are more comfortable while they can slowly get used to an operating system they are new to....now i could waste both of our time argueing sides <or my crappy spelling> but that would solve nothing all i was really suggesting was if you think this site has gone to crap maybe you would be happier elsewhere, and as far a playing the race card....i dont see how my comments were anything like that....i see yelling sell out at the drop of a hat as card dropping

i do see ads from microsoft as rather inappropriate tho....but hey gotta pay the bills some how
    Last edited by moojuece; 04-30-2003 at 03:56 PM.
    Linux is not a crime

Originally posted by Void Main
    I don't expect to see LINUX HOWTOs on Windows sites and I don't expect to see Windows HOWTOs on Linux sites
    If you search the Microsoft knowledge base for Unix, you will find HOWTOs...they have lots of information on getting the OSes to co-exist correctly.

I understand that there may be a lot of people here who use both Linux and Windows, but this should not be the place for Windows stuff.

For example, say I just bought a new Ford pickup, I have been driving Chevy all my life. What would be the likelyhood of finding an article on "JustFord.com" which explains how to turn your Chevy into a hot rod? On top of that, would you find Chevy advertisements on JustFord.com? It's the same thing.

Originally posted by mahdi
    If you search the Microsoft knowledge base for Unix, you will find HOWTOs...they have lots of information on getting the OSes to co-exist correctly.
    You will not find a Linux HOWTO on Microsoft Support site that has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows. If so, prove it.

why are you so angry??? there is nothing wrong with trying to help people make a peacfule transition....you accuse me of trolling but i notice this thread consists of the only posts you made here...you start off your posts on a site by trashing the site calling them sellouts....that sounds like a troll to me....
    Linux is not a crime

Please keep arguing. I just got my popcorn out of the microwave and a cold, refreshing Pepsi to go with it. It's your turn Void.

EVAC