ZSNES on Linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZSNES on Linux

Hybrid View

ZSNES on Linux

For anyone interested, I found an .rpm package for the ZSNES emulator ( latest release I believe, 1.36 ) at this site:

http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/redhat.../RPMS.newrpms/

The site also has a patched version of Wine that is supposed to work great on RedHat 9

KeeperChris
    -------------------------
    One reason for the bustle was that over large parts of the continent other people preferred to make money without working at all, and since the Disc had yet to develop a music recording industry they were forced to fall back on older, more traditional forms of banditry.

ZSnes is truly a great SNES emulator for Linux. The Linux port is even better than the Windows port, both with graphical capabilties and speed. Too bad there aren't many other emulators that try to utilize the power of Linux like Zsnes.

thanks for posting the link to the site the emulator works good and is easier than trying to compile the code your self
    i want to learn linux but i need serious help

Originally posted by Ryochan7
    ZSnes is truly a great SNES emulator for Linux. The Linux port is even better than the Windows port, both with graphical capabilties and speed.
    well on my computer, the windows port runs at 60 FPS while the linux port runs at about 30 FPS....

who fault is that?
    s-s-s-s-slack on!

Originally posted by ubaka
    well on my computer, the windows port runs at 60 FPS while the linux port runs at about 30 FPS....

who fault is that?
    You probably don't have OpenGL installed on linux, zsnes uses it when it's present, otherwise it resorts X, which in many cases isn't very fast.

Mine's maxing out at around 50 fps, but I think it can differ depending on the ROM (I usually go for the PAL ones cos I've got PAL cartridges). NTSC runs quicker doesn't it?
    Linux is not responsible for:
    Loss of hair
    Loss of sleep
    Loss of sanity

http://www.linuxgaminghelp.co.uk

Thanks, this is great!

PS: How do I check the frame rate? I'd like to compare my Linux partition with the WinXP one.
    Last edited by synecdoche; 06-17-2003 at 06:09 PM.

Originally posted by synecdoche
    Where is the best place to find games these days?
    just a word of caution. watch it or the mods will close this thread. downloading the roms is technically pirating/illegal.

Originally posted by Ryochan7
    Too bad there aren't many other emulators that try to utilize the power of Linux like Zsnes.
    There are a couple others, only good emulators make it to linux. Other than zsnes, linux emulators include snes9x (i think) ePSXe, VisualboyAdvance, and a pretty good genesis one specifically for linux, called generator.
    friend: first, it takes 2 minutes to load google; second, it take another 2 minutes to search for something; and third, once it finally stops searching, the Search Results pages come out screwed up (where it shows the google logo up top, the search form, and then some random characters like "[47]GGH9")
    zdude255: nope
    friend: damn...
    zdude255: all your viruses are belong to you
    friend: ...
    friend: not funny

Originally posted by synecdoche
    Thanks, this is great!

PS: How do I check the frame rate? I'd like to compare my Linux partition with the WinXP one.

Hey,

to see the FPS (Frames per second); go to MISC, then GAME KEYS, and click on the green box that says DISPLAY FPS.
    Whenever you press the button (on your keyboard) that you selected then, the frame rate will be displayed.

(This applies to the windows, ver. 136; not sure if this works on the linux version or not.)
    Hope the directions helped.

Welcome,
    keyshawn
    <a href="http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131047">JustLinux's Newbie Reading Guide</a>

after install...

After you install the rpm, how do you get to the program? (I know, I'm a big newbie!)
    Registered Linux user # 318697
    Slackware 10.0 / XP Pro
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    512 MB SDRAM
    ATI Radeon 8500LE 128 MB DDR (OC)
    40 GB WDC HD X 2
    24X LiteOn Burner
    52X LiteOn CD-ROM

Re: after install...

Originally posted by blackhawk714
    After you install the rpm, how do you get to the program? (I know, I'm a big newbie!)
    The main application should have installed to /usr/bin

What you have to do is go a console terminal and type zsnes. If that fails, then you could go to /usr/bin and then just open the zsnes application there. Me tired.
    Linux User #357977
    Host of the worst podcast on the web - Bored Gamers Radio

"Are you saying that I have lower standards because I use 'I've Got Mail'?" Common Windows User

"You've been one bad penguin." Bill Gates

"It's not cheating if you don't get caught." Darl McBride

Originally posted by hGh
    You probably don't have OpenGL installed on linux, zsnes uses it when it's present, otherwise it resorts X, which in many cases isn't very fast.
    sorry, a little late.
    i don't actually have OpenGL, but i've got Mesa 5.0 installed fine so that can be the problem
    s-s-s-s-slack on!

Originally posted by ubaka
    sorry, a little late.
    i don't actually have OpenGL, but i've got Mesa 5.0 installed fine so that can be the problem
    Yeah, and I should have been more specific. I should have said that you probably don't have the OpenGL drivers for your GFX card. I have GeForce2 with nvidia drivers installed and zsnes runs very smoothly , even when bicubic blurring is eneblaed to get rid of the blockiness when palying fullscreen.

The OpenGL drivers for ZSNES work great, I get a big performance improvement over the Windows version. Also, not to sound like a commercial but the Interact Axis Pad plays nicely with ZSNES and Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1.