Would You Work For Microsoft? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Work For Microsoft?

on the working for microsoft and losing your morals idea posted up there. look at some psychologist's heirarchy of needs. i think it was maslow or someone. food and survival needs were on the bottom. love and personal happiness were near the top. being a pyramid, you need the bottom to work before the top does.

ie, ms = pays the bills = good.

plus. who said that we all think that microsoft is the anti-christ or that every product that they make is bad...
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Working for MS would be a very benificial expieriance. u would definately be fat paid(not to mention benifits). and if u think about it - microsoft only employs the ppl who dont use their product. because if u dont use microsoft u must know what u are doing!

Hmmm... yeah, I'd work for 'em if they paid me well, but you can bet that I'd bring my Gentoo 1.4-based laptop to work every day. :-)
    I don't claim to be an expert, please remember that the above is just my rambling, probably long-winded opinion.

P4 3.2Ghz w/512MB of RAM, 80GB HD, DVD, CD-RW, GeForce 4 64MB of RAM, built it myself.

Gentoo & (new!) FreeBSD
    JL on IRC (It helps!) #justlinux on irc.freenode.org

IMO! For me it would be morally wrong to work for MS who is against all my believes about a working IT infrastructure and technology. Sure an MS based infra would work but I think it would work much better with Linux and Open Source since Windows is a pure desktop OS, not a server OS. I don't want to argue about this. This is always a moral issue.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
    Registered linux user #322532.

woah, no need for emotional outbursts! nobody is REALLY going to work for microsoft! hahaha.... thatd be foolish!

silly kids

Originally posted by sharth
    on the working for microsoft and losing your morals idea posted up there. look at some psychologist's heirarchy of needs. i think it was maslow or someone. food and survival needs were on the bottom. love and personal happiness were near the top. being a pyramid, you need the bottom to work before the top does.

ie, ms = pays the bills = good.

plus. who said that we all think that microsoft is the anti-christ or that every product that they make is bad...
    That heirarchy of need is very outdated. You cant brake and isolate a human's needs like that.
    I am gonna say it one more. If i was that good that a headhunter wanted me for MS I bet there would be 10 more big companies wanting me to go work for them.
    As one poster said, this is a moral issue so each his own.
    I would work for a company that would ask me on a MS terminal (even though I wouldnt be too happy about it). But going working for MS? Nop.
    DMR
    no one is really going to hear you scream....

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------

im not too sure on this one, it depends on the circumstances.

If there was a bigger pay check from M$ (which is doubtful anyhow) then id be tempted. although i would definitely be willing to take a dip in wages in order to work for a company id feel more comfortable with. Although working on windows might not be a bad thing, id be able to spread evil rumours better and bring the company down from the inside
    The Difference being, Hackers build things, Crackers break them

I would work for MS if they offered
    Originally posted by hard candy
    OK, I can see the "money buys happiness" theory, but here's a diifferent question- how about going to work for, say for example, RedHat at $50,000/year or Microsoft for $75,000/year doing the same job, similiar benefits.
    Do you really think Red Hat has benefits even close to what MS has to offer?
    Cost of Living by Red Hat is cheap also, MS is in Seattle and RH is in the Carolinas (south?)...who do you think pays more for their house?

If I had a choice, it would be Red Hat (I don't like the snow and cold weather)

I don't mind MS, they are not THAT bad of a company...their office poltics can't be much worse then at my current job

oh yeah - bring down the enemy from within!!!!

Originally posted by mahdi

I don't mind MS, they are not THAT bad of a company...their office poltics can't be much worse then at my current job
    lol, it would probably be the greatest place on earth to work.

You: I'v just found a few more bugs in this module, and the cause of a few large memory leakes. You need me to stay late to get it fixed?

Boss: does it compile?

You: just....a load of warnings

Boss: nah dont bother then. Just note it down so that it can be fixed in a service pack in a few months time
    The Difference being, Hackers build things, Crackers break them

I've actually worked for Microsoft (via outsourcer) as a tech supporter, and it was pretty laid back--no one timing your calls, telling you to get off after
    10 minutes (if you've worked for AOL or Intuit, you know what I'm talking about!). On the flip side, supporting a product that chronically requires a service pack (often to fix the problems caused by the previous sp), as well
    as having to tell customers "well, that's just the way it is", is demeaning.
    As a programmer, I'd get frustrated about having to release a product
    before its fully debugged (MSN 2.0 is a perfect version of getting a product out as soon as possible, even tho it was a piece of junk).
    Deum solum fidentia est

Originally posted by Tesl
    lol, it would probably be the greatest place on earth to work.

You: I'v just found a few more bugs in this module, and the cause of a few large memory leakes. You need me to stay late to get it fixed?

Boss: does it compile?

You: just....a load of warnings

Boss: nah dont bother then. Just note it down so that it can be fixed in a service pack in a few months time
    Heh, sounds like my current job...

Me: There are a ton of network errors comming from the win2k server you setup, it's killing my HP-UX

NetAdmin: Hmmm...those are odd errors, let me look into it

Boss: Are any users complaining?

Us: No

Boss: Then don't worry about it

2 weeks later the switch dies and Boss is in panic to fix it "to get it working" again...not replace, fix...

Boss: Just patch it

Me: But we will have problems in the future because of this

Boss: We will worry about it then

HEY! I do work at Microsoft!
    But not as laid back...too many things breaking from 'patching' everything

From the Microsoft website:
    Vision Care
    Covers one annual eye exam and reimbursement for one pair of glasses or contacts per person, per calendar year.
    Dental Care
    Choose a basic plan or a plan that pays a higher level of benefits, including orthodontia.
    Stay Fit Program
    Offers a paid health club membership (where available) or taxable income to apply toward your own health and fitness program.
    Free Beverages
    Choose from a variety of free soft drinks while working at Microsoft.

I've left a few out, but these are great benefits. They've got eveything I want.

but I still coudln't do it.
    http://www.gretchenann.com/linux

free soda!
    irc.freenode.net #justlinux The Not So Official JL IRC Channel.
    ¤ Debian ¤ Apt-Get ¤

Portland, Oregon- the best city in the universe
    I bet it would be a good job!
    We all view Microsoft as a "blacksuit and designer tie" place of bussiness, at least from the "outside". But you know good and well they're all sittin' around, girls half-dressed, drinkin' stoli, mountains of cocaine, Bill Gates wandering around in a purple plush bathrobe.

Ok, maybe not.
    Rock Journalism is: People who can't write, interviewing people who can't speak, for people who can't read.
    --Frank Zappa