The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here) - Page 36

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here)

HAHAHAHAHA

While browsing the Litigious Bastards website, i came across this....

http://www.sco.com/company/jobs/

Look at the Senior Software Engineer position. Theres something not right here........
    You dont have to feel bad just because you are completely worthless - Dilbert

I was just brousing slashdot and found something intrusting (its new to me)

SCO Claims Linux Lifted ELF
    Posted by michael on Tuesday July 20, @05:12PM
    from the making-it-up-as-we-go-along dept.
    fymidos writes "SCO has finally spoken. According to this linuxworld article, they claim that linux illegally uses the ELF binary format, the JFS filesystem, the init code and some more 'copyrighted Unix header and interfaces'. Finally SCO makes its move. The JFS part was expected of course, but according to the article, as far as the ELF format is concerned 'the Tool Interface Standard Committee (TISC) came up with a ELF 1.2 standard' and 'granted users a "non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license" to the stuff'. Oh, and of course 'both Novell and the old SCO - as well as Microsoft, IBM and Intel - were on the committee'."
    source -- http://slashdot.org/articles/04/07/2...tid=88&tid=106
    :wq

I have one question. I have been reading and listening for a while so here it goes. If I were a big company and used Linux, should I be worried about having to pay SCO?

I don't think I should myself. From what I have read, they are dead in the water. But would you be worried if you were in the situation above? Personally, I would like to tell them to "go stuff it", not saying where though.

What you think?

Later

installing Gentoo on a poor AMD 400MHz machine. xfree been compiling for quite a while. lol I guess I could put the drive in this rig and chroot in and do it, naw, let it smoke. lol
    Last edited by dalek; 07-21-2004 at 03:15 AM.
    My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives
    Cyberpower CP1350C UPS || Cooler Master HAF-932 Case

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

haha

Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Talking When's payday?

"I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Re: When's payday?

Nice story. I must say that I am quite shocked. (and quite amused)

Re: When's payday?

Are they getting some of their own medicine you think? Or did I read that wrong?

Wonder if M$ will fund the defense?

Later

My rig: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P mobo || AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz || ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU cooler
    G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 PC3 12800 Memory || Nvidia GT-220 video card || LG W2253 Monitor
    HP Deskjet D4260 printer || LG GH22NS50B DVD R/W || WD1600AAJS & WD2502ABYS & Samsung HD753LJ & Seagate ST3000DM001 hard drives

WARNING: Slow typer. Someone may answer the question while I'm trying to type it in. Oh, I type bad too.

SCO bussiness model

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...video_patent_4

...The message: pay up, or risk getting sued.
    Several colleges say the letters make even broader claims, extending beyond distance learning to cover almost anything a college does that involves moving audio and video files on computer networks.
    Now, critics of the company are saying that it's trying to make a fast buck off schools nervous about litigation before a federal judge makes a final, potentially crippling ruling in that case.

SCO, you should be proud, you have opened a whole new bussiness model. Buy some rights, send extortion letters to users, make the deadline to pay up before the courts validate your rights/claims, and threaten to sue everyone.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Oh.....uh....bummer. SCO's having a rough time of it lately. What a surprise (not).
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1633445,00.asp
    Notice their SCOsource licensing revenues as compared to last year.

SCO site defaced

After reading this article:
    http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php...26-26-NW-CD-NT

I was curious to see exactly what the SCO defacing looked like. So I decided to go google and I got the goods. God that's alot of goo! I just thought you guys might like to see these too.

Link- reconstruction of sco v world(redhat) page
    Link- picture of frontpage

seems reasonable enough...
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

I saw it live on the SCO website; when my heise newsletter arrived they still hadn't taken it down from their homepage.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

"The author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."

Wonder if SCO has read that? Wonder if they thought they would help us instead of hurting us Linux users.

Hey SCO, Looooooooser!!!

Love that.