The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here) - Page 34

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "SCO" (rant) thread (Please post in here)

It's nice to see that even people who are new to the linux world can stil receive a respectful answer from some of the justlinux.com users.

Thanks to those who responded in a dignified manner.

Did you really expect less??

G
    In Confusion There Is Profit

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)

SCO/Microsoft Collaboration Confirmed

Well, I guess the combination in restraint of trade has been confirmed. See the ZDNet story below:

SCO/Microsoft Story
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Talking Proof that Open source is NOT profitable

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the FUD that open source is dangerous for the economy and will elliminate a 3 billion dollar industry, SCO's mad claims that it's impossible to make money with open source, or even Mr. McBride's statement on CNN when discussing the MyDoom virus and being asked if the writer might turn themselves in to get the reward:
    Maybe that's a good way for them to make money, because you can't make money from linux because it's free.
    So I thought it'd be interesting to see exactly how profitable SCO is against other open source companies.
    A nice comparison of SCOX vs. RHAT over the past 3 months.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=3m&s...z=m&q=l&c=RHAT

Oddly enough, Brian Skiba of Deutshce banks has retierated his strong buy for SCOx, saying that it will still be $45 by the end of the year, with possibilities of reaching $200 a share, and says that now is a great time to buy.

Of course, he still rates Red Hat at a sell. Go figure.

Oddly enough, Brian Skiba of Deutshce banks has retierated his strong buy for SCOx, saying that it will still be $45 by the end of the year, with possibilities of reaching $200 a share, and says that now is a great time to buy.
    As far as I can tell, the people who are still recommending a buy of SCO stock don't understand what's going on. They see a company who is suing a bigger company and assume that they must have a good reason and will make a ****load of money in the very near future. Since it's pretty clear to everyone here that SCO doesn't have a leg to stand one, we know better. Also, these people are overlooking the fact that SCO's software business (supposedly their main focus) is not doing particularly well, at least from what I've heard (which is admittedly not much).

Stick a fork in them, they are done. The only analyst tracking their stock jumped to 5.0 (strongest possible score for sell) and estimates of growth are laughable...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ae?s=SCOX

Current Quarter = -200%
    Next Quarter = -289%
    This year = -261%

They have no more money, Darl is surely quick to pull out when the stock drops like a rock, MS can't pump any more money in, sock puppet companies fronting the money notwithstanding, and they have literally no product base left. Any employee's left who are competent will see the writing on the wall and want to find another job asap.

Expect to have a laughable 'We will yet prevail and own the world' speech tommorrow or the next day, but it is a matter of days, maybe weeks.

Edit: 85.7% of stock held by insiders and Institutions. This means that of the 2.1 M public shared, 894K are shorted. 42% of available stock is shorted. Form your own opinion, however, if I owned any stock, a broken leg, tornado, or hair on fire would not slow me down from selling. jmho :edit

hlrguy
    Last edited by hlrguy; 04-19-2004 at 04:18 PM.
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

Investor wants money back

Kat

Angry BayStar to SCO "Give us our 20 million back!"

BayStar Capital, which arranged the 50 million dollar war chest that SCO is using to bash Linux, wants out.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech....ap/index.html

Darl McBride will resign immediately and lead attorney Erskin Bowles will now take over the company. All non essential (Unixware) and redundant (OpenServer) personel are to be terminated. Bowles is charged with focusing on the core business of the company, property management. He will mainly focus on collecting back rent due from 2 SCO "partners" in the Provost complex and drop by court ocassionally to harass the judges.

I didn't see anything in the article to support your second paragraph.
    So Darl makes $900,000 a year. I don't think he would let me on his golf course. Let's see, that would be $20,000 a year for around 40 families that have no income, he doesn't seem worth it when you put him on that scale.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

hard candy -
    I didn't see anything in the article to support your second paragraph.
    I think this all goes back to December when Darl said the GPL was unconstitutional. He went on to give a dumb and dumber interview at a tech summit in March, where he talked about O.J. Simpson getting away with murder.

BayStar is clearly trying to shake the trees here and hope Darl falls out. Without the right person spreading the correct FUD, the stock is going to zero.

BayStar is also correct in saying that SCO's Unix business is worthless. We thought that made a nice backstory, it was all part of the act.

Truth is that Darl is SCO's Howard Dean. They want a winner and if they are going to pay a million $ per year to someone, they want Harvard, Yale, politically connected types with a Broadway or major motion picture acting experience.

Darl just can't read or follow a script. Too much adlib about Unix and O.J.

Pronunciation of "SCO"

G'day all, Is SCO Pronounced S C 0 IE seperated or as a word.

Cheer's
    Cheer's from Glen
    "On an Island in the Pacific!"

Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia

Ubuntu 8.10

Registered Linux User #325391

No -- As this: Stupid Criminal Organisation

Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Originally posted by XiaoKJ
    No -- As this: Stupid Criminal Organisation

if you want to rant on the SCO issue there is a "MAIN SCO Rant thread" in /dev/random. i don't think that the original poster of this question intended for this to become a SCO rant thread.

It's an acronym that stands for "Santa Cruz Operation". People commonly refer to it as a single word "Sco" though.