Samba Share

Thread: Samba Share

Samba Share

I am working for a company that is testing a paticular database server on linux. the server requires that a samba file share be on the root of the drive. Well I honestly do not like to share directories form the root of my server, but in this case we don't really have any choise. The question is i was told to share out the /usr directory, and i don't belive this is a good idea, as there is alot of the system being share out over the network. I tried to explane why, but they said as long as permiisions in the /usr directory are set right that the windows clients should not be able to acess anything. I was just wanting to know if this is recommended at all as we could just make another directory and share that out. any comments or sugestions

Re: Samba Share

Originally posted by howdyboby
    I am working for a company that is testing a paticular database server on linux. the server requires that a samba file share be on the root of the drive. Well I honestly do not like to share directories form the root of my server, but in this case we don't really have any choise. The question is i was told to share out the /usr directory, and i don't belive this is a good idea, as there is alot of the system being share out over the network. I tried to explane why, but they said as long as permiisions in the /usr directory are set right that the windows clients should not be able to acess anything. I was just wanting to know if this is recommended at all as we could just make another directory and share that out. any comments or sugestions
    Why would you need to samba share /usr to a windows box anyway?

That doesn't make sense to me since as you said the clients should not be able to access anything. That being the case why do it?

What is in /usr the clients would need?

well there would be one data folder that they would have acess to /usr/data/

Originally posted by howdyboby
    well there would be one data folder that they would have acess to /usr/data/
    Does that folder have to be in /usr? If that is the only thing the clients need you can put that in the smb.conf. Though, like you the idea of sharing /usr is not a good one.

Do you have your /home or /var directories on a separate partition? if so put your share's in /home/data or /var/data, that would be better because if you put it on your / directory you could fill it up and crash the system.

Originally posted by ven0m
    Do you have your /home or /var directories on a separate partition? if so put your share's in /home/data or /var/data
    Unfortunately, howdyboby said that the database demands that the share be on the / partition.

There would be nothing wrong with making a new directory under /