Best looking fonts for the desktop and apps

Thread: Best looking fonts for the desktop and apps

Best looking fonts for the desktop and apps

A quick question - I'm running SuSE 8.2 Pro and have successfully installed all the Microsoft fonts from my XP partition. The question now is which Windows fonts and what font sizes should I be using for the desktop and applications . Although I hate to admit it, the Windows desktop and application fonts are cleaner and crisper than the standard configuration in Redhat, Mandrake and SuSE - if I can get the desktop and apps looking as crisp I may even be able to convince my wife that we can delete the XP partition. BTW - I'm not after the XP look and feel, I have XP configured to look and feel like Windows 95/98/2K.

I would also appreciate input as to whether the fonts only need to be selected in KDE or whether they then also need to be selected in each application eg Opera, Thunderbird, OpenOffice etc.

Thanks
    SuSE 9.1 Pro
    MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
    ---
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

It's personal preference. I like a 14-point bolded Comic Sans MS font for desktop icons, bolded 12-point Arial for menus, 10-point Courier 10-pitch for Terminals and fixed fonts, and Arial for everything else. I set my antialising to grayscale with slight hinting.

I like the way Red Hat does anti-aliasing. Everythiing is nice and smooth, without the blurriness of no hinting and without the degradation of hinting. I wonder how they di it

Still looking for additional ideas and input here...someone out there has to have managed to get their distro looking as clean and crisp as windows fonts...I can live with what I've got bu Opera 7.11 looks terrible no matter what I try.

ideas anyone?
    SuSE 9.1 Pro
    MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
    ---
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

fonts for Opera 7.11

Has anyone managed to configure Opera 7.11 to look as good as it does in Windows or even as good as Mozilla or Thunderbird look under Linux?
    SuSE 9.1 Pro
    MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
    ---

Originally posted by mysticboer
    Still looking for additional ideas and input here...someone out there has to have managed to get their distro looking as clean and crisp as windows fonts...I can live with what I've got bu Opera 7.11 looks terrible no matter what I try.

ideas anyone?
    does Opera even use xft? i have no idea because i don't use it. if it doesn't then it will never look good (antialised).

if all your apps use xft then your desktop will look just as good as a windows one.

Originally posted by tanna
    hello, hello, it does.

xft is there.
    mysticboer,

then all you have to do is install some fonts and set them up in Opera (and KDE) and it will look just fine. i normally just copy over a bunch from whatever Windows box I have lying around at the time.

I have all he Windows fonts installed - which fonts & what font sizes in your view work best?
    SuSE 9.1 Pro
    MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
    ---

Originally posted by mysticboer
    I have all he Windows fonts installed - which fonts & what font sizes in your view work best?
    why don't you try some and see what works best for you? this is all totally subjective and based on personal prefs and also what resolution you run X at.

I've tried all the M$ fonts Tahoma, Verdana etc and they all look terrible - either I'm missing something in how Opera font usage is set or anti-aliasing is not working in Opera.
    SuSE 9.1 Pro
    MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
    ---

I've found some sites look great - such as Opera's own site/bulletin board and others like Justlinux and Yahoo for example end up with really small type - if I magnify it, everything gets choppy.

There is a fix for this but it's kinda complicated for such a simple task. I found this on the Opera forums: http://my.opera.com/forums/showthrea...389#post273389