The MAIN "EU Software Patents Protest" (rant) Thread (Please post here) - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "EU Software Patents Protest" (rant) Thread (Please post here)

Yeah, I'm clueless. I don't deny it.
    "Pick a number between 1 and 3. Your number is 42! Why? Because it is!"
    ~Brandon

Originally posted by hard candy
    Do you reckon "JustLinux" should "close"? I just filed for the patent on radio buttons on web sites. Any advice on how to spend my millions?
    Hmmm...... I just filed for patents on drop down boxes, hyperlinks, and the use of "plugins". How about we merge and monopolize?

Yeah, we could start a software company out west somewhere- I hear Washington state has a nice atmosphere.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

I've been meaning to move up north.....

GREAT. . . now debianplanet.org is closed in protest of this stupid EU patent thing. When will this madness stop

Originally posted by ven0m
    GREAT. . . now debianplanet.org is closed in protest of this stupid EU patent thing. When will this madness stop
    How many times does it need to be said?

You can still enter the site. There is no loss of service. Just click the 'click here to enter this site' link.

You only have 30 seconds to do it before you're redirected, but unless your using the keyboard mouse option in X Windows, it's really no trouble. So don't be mad, just read.

Funny thing is that as soon as you give Europe all of the freedom in the world, the first thing that they do is cut their dick off and shove it up their ***.

Originally posted by deanrantala
    and the use of "plugins".
    Too late. Some company is going to try to sue Microsoft over their use of plug-ins/embedded stuff in browsers.

*Sigh*
    "Heisenberg may have been here."

Originally posted by Citadel
    Funny thing is that as soon as you give Europe all of the freedom in the world, the first thing that they do is cut their dick off and shove it up their ***.
    What does that have to do with patents?

And who gave us freedom? Hmm, looks like a reference to WW2.

Since we have no more "french" fries (only "american fries") and have insulted most of the UN, I wasn't sure if American signatures would be appreciated. I have signed it now.
    American stuff and people are still highly appreciated in Europe - the European mind works like the American: politics and daily life are two different things. For the Linux community it shouldn't matter anyway - I mean, isn't the fact we all have Linux installed on our boxes uniting us more than our nationalities keep us apart? Hence it's just a normal thing Americans would sign the petition, too, isn't it?

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!

This looks like it could be really damaging for open source software.

I'm in the UK and i've just spammed my MP and my MEP explaining the implications, asking them to look in to this. I sent them both this link, which also has a link to a petition which you all should sign:

http://swpat.ffii.org/

Get on the soap box people!!! Pester you MPs and MEPs and lets hope they dont make a hugh cockup.

Robin

Star Trek and life: an analogy.

The world has many evils, but arguably the most famous one is money. When it comes down to it, money is what patents are all about in the first place. This is the way most of the world works today. People are controlled by greed and power, but not all people. When something gets in the way of a persons wealth and power, they get very angry. The world of Star Trek, however, is quite different. There is no money in the future. Why, then, would anybody work at all? Picard would say "To advance ourselves, and the rest of humanity." This is the way I see open source software. It is also, I believe, the reason that it generally works better than proprietary software. If your only reason for going to work and mundanely writing code all day was for a paycheck, it probably isn't going to be very good. If, on the other hand, you are working to expand your knowledge, and create something to be proud of, then it will work much better, because you will see to it.

What can be done about this way of life? Well, frankly I don't know, but I am open to suggestions. One possibility is to beat bill gates to the patent office for an operating system, and then sue him. Then all the open source software developers and users can buy a small country and make our own laws.
    System of a Down is awesome

and then, all the open source software developers, will try to maintain the honor of writing the best code by patenting their product so no one else can take credit for it. Soon a couple of developer will monopolize the country by judging any other code as obsolete and not worth of existence; and as humans: everyone will believe it.
    "We are completely responsible of what and how we feel on every situation. We know it but that is a responsability we don't want to have. That amount of freedom seems overwhelming"
    ---Me

please sign danish anti patent petition.

Even though you don't understand danish, I urge you to go to this site and sign up. On the 25th of this month, the future freedom of european software development is at stake. Please visit the link below and go to the bottom of the page and voice your protest and then click "underskriv" ("signature" in english) All information surrendered is of course kept strictly confidential.

Stilling=position
    fulde navn=full name
    adresse=...duh!
    postnr./by=zip and city
    telefonnr.=...double duh!

Thanx for your time.

http://linuxin.dk/indsamling.php
    Last edited by arioch; 09-16-2003 at 04:31 AM.

Originally posted by Parcival
    Yup, there's that stuid legislature in the European parliament coming up on patenting software. However, resistance is being formed in Europe, too:
    "Resistance" Hell, Time for a good old fashion, Revolution

There is far to much control by government and big busine$$ today.

Time to put them back in their place and let them know who IS in charge
    Cheer's from Glen
    "On an Island in the Pacific!"

Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia

Ubuntu 8.10

Registered Linux User #325391