winmodems

Thread: winmodems

winmodems

i cant get my winmodem to work in linux it is an ess data voice and fax winmodem i have already been to linmodems.org but its of no help and linux says my modem is not supported
    i want to learn linux but i need serious help

Try searching for the specific chipset on your modem rather than ESS.
    - Andy

Obligatorydistro link.

You can't get a WinModem to work in Linux. It's a way of Microsoft controlling the masses by restricting licensing of hardware to only work with Windows.

I've heard of very small number of "Win---" devices working under Linux, but the authors of the drivers were threatened with legal action.

James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

You Can use Some Win-modems

Check the chipset on the win-modem. Conexant HSF and HCF chipsets have drivers for linux that work that have been released since April and are in teh Form of an RPM at this site http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/ Read the Documentation there as it will point you to several great resources on your quest. I have a Win-modem running on Mandrake 9.1 with no problems what-so-ever.

Originally posted by Satanic Atheist
    You can't get a WinModem to work in Linux. It's a way of Microsoft controlling the masses by restricting licensing of hardware to only work with Windows.

I've heard of very small number of "Win---" devices working under Linux, but the authors of the drivers were threatened with legal action.

James
    Actually, that is not completely true, most winmodems are supported in Linux, like has been staed already, you need to search for the driver by chipset, not manufacturer or model name/number. linmodems.org has a link to a utility that will help you determin which chipset you have.

Having said that, it is my opinion that you are better off getting an external ( serial or USB) modem, not only is your connection going to be cleaner, but also much faster. and setup ( at least in RH8 and 9) was plug and play with (just a bit more than plug and play).

But if you are stuck for whatever reason using the winmodem, then you can still get some driver for it. also, try doing a seach on GFL there are more places than just Linmodems.org ( although I would start there)

Hope this helps.

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

Easy option:

Get Broadband!

James
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

Originally posted by Satanic Atheist
    Easy option:

Get Broadband!

James
    I really hate people who post like this. it is not so easy when it is not available to you, as it is not where I am. no cable, no DSL.

So how does this answer the orignal question??

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

Simply injecting some humour into a discussion.

I haven't used modems in years and obviously the technology now is rather different. I'm backing out of this thread.

Also, from what I read, the original question has already been answered and therefore any more postings are probably irrelevant anyway.

Since you are not the original poster, perhaps he/she hasn't considered/doesn't know about broadband technologies and how cheap they are to install? My post may prompt more knowledgable requests about other communications technologies.

If I'd posted something totally irrelevant then I would throw my hands up and apologise. In this case, I haven't.

James
    UseLinux.net

Do you know the chipset?

If not, and you have a PCI modem, try what I've just done:
    Code:
    [foo@localhost bar]$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3116
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
    00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
    00:09.0 Communication controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1040
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3104 (rev 82)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3177
    00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Ethernet Controller (rev 74)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc.: Unknown device 8d04
    [foo@localhost bar]$
    Here, the modem showed up as "Communication conrtoller...unknown device 1040". So I googled for unknown device 1040 and the first answer told me the chipset (intel-536ep). A few more searches and I was downloading a precompiled driver from Intel. I don't know if this will help you but it's worth a try.
    We are free to think. We are free to plan. And we are free to do. But once an action has been taken, we are never free from its consequences.
    --Russel M. Nelson, apostle.

In the Link that I posted above, you will find other links to tools and text that will help you identify teh chipset involved, detailed instructions on how to set up the system and do some tweeking. Its very close to that of a controler based modem (traditional modem) with a few minor differences such as you dont use the setserial command (which make perfect sence as this is not a serial device and as such setting the IRQ would be pointless as there is no such thing to set on this type of hardware/emulator) Read the links and docs & in 30 mins to an hour you will be up and running.