Speed up boot times?

Thread: Speed up boot times?

Question Speed up boot times?

Hi,
    Im running suse 8.2 on a Laptop, and im wondering if there are any good tips on how to speed up the boot process, something quite important when you need rather quick access.

Thanks!

Turn off crap that you don't use, that's about the biggest decrease you'll get in boot times.

You might get a very minor decrease if you turn on DMA early in the boot process, but you probably won't notice it...

"Crap that you don't use" might be sendmail, a DNS daemon, appletalk...
    Just remove all the stuff that you don't need. If you're not sure what something does, put a # in front of it so when you remove it, and something doesn't work, it's easily added again.

Runlevel 3 is quicker than 4/5, of course.
    Registered Linux User #325947

Check out Feather Linux, my distro.
    (Yes, it's shameless self promotion, deal with it )

if you really wanna spped up boot-time , use "simpleinit" instead of systemvinit that come aong with almost all the distributions these days.

u can find simpleinit in the util-linux package. It really speeds up booting coz of the simpler, easier to follow scripts.

i assume u r running MDK 8.2 ?? they run a lot of CRAP from their boot scripts, even if u turn off services they user there are a lot of CRAP still left out.

i have reduced their rc.sysinit from 12xx lines to 6xx lines and my machine behaves normally as before and boots up a little faster.
    There is no limit for things that one can learn in life