Wine and Paint Shop Pro 8 - Need Help

Thread: Wine and Paint Shop Pro 8 - Need Help

Wine and Paint Shop Pro 8 - Need Help

Hey all...well I'm trying to install Paint Shop Pro 8 with Wine. It uses an InstallShield installer, so I did a bunch of forum searching about that and found a few things.

I installed WINE-20030911 from source, using wineinstall.
    I then imported the included winedefault.reg file from the source directory using regedit.

Hearing it should help with InstallShield, I installed DCOM98.exe successfully, using "wine -dll ole32=n dcom98.exe" to overcome the "newer version already installed" problem. I was wondering, this is funny but...what is DCOM98?

Anyway, I also commented out the various AppDefaults sections that affect InstallShield installers as Frank suggested in a different thread. No change in the behavior of my installer.

I made sure that "Version" = "win98" was uncommented.

I also downloaded and imported with regedit a winedefault.reg suggested by someone for better compatibility with game installers, thinking it might help. No difference.

Here is the console output:
    [matthurne@localhost fake_windows]$ wine D:/psp/setup.exe
    fixme:process:CreateProcessA (D:\psp\instmsia.exe,...): NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS ignored
    fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Security directory ignored
    fixme:process:CreateProcessA (F:\IXP010.TMP\msiinst.exe,...): NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS ignored
    fixme:advapi:SetThreadToken ((nil), (nil)): stub (NT impl. only)
    fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken (0x44,1,0x407922dc,80,0x4079232c): stub
    fixme:advapi:SetThreadToken ((nil), 0x40): stub (NT impl. only)
    fixme:process:CreateProcessA (MsiExec.exe,...): NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS ignored
    fixme:process:CreateProcessA (MsiExec.exe,...): STARTF_FORCEONFEEDBACK ignored
    fixme:process:CreateProcessA (MsiExec.exe,...): NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS ignored
    fixme:process:CreateProcessA (MsiExec.exe,...): STARTF_FORCEONFEEDBACK ignored
    U++ 2@ 2@XMB@ ¿:Y®@@*y@:¿:@#8*y@+À:¿:@▒

I find the gibberish in the last line pretty interested. Everything hangs from there and I just close the console window.

The InstallShield window goes through "Checking Operating System Version" and then goes to "Configuring Windows Installer" where it hangs. So I'm guessing it detects wine as win98 just fine.

You can see my config file at:
    http://cs.messiah.edu/~matthurne/wine/config

I doubt this will matter, but I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a 1.4gHz AthlonXP...512MB RAM, all that good stuff.

I did wine --debugmsg +loaddll D:/psp/setup.exe as well, and you can see the console output at:
    http://cs.messiah.edu/~matthurne/wine/pspdebugdll.txt

The next thing I plan on doing is messing with the way the listed dll's are loaded and getting native versions from a win98 cd with cabextract, but its late so I won't do that tonight.

I hope I've given you all the information I can, hopefully enough to get some good help!

Respectfully,
    Matt

Update

Ok well no replies on any of the forums I've posted this yet...not encouraging but that's ok.
    I've made SIGNIFICANT progress...

I copied the files "msi.dll" and "msiexec.exe" from a Windows 9x machine, and told Wine to use them. Paint Shop Pro installed!!! The Installer always hangs as soon as it finishes (I've run it twice), but all the files *appear* to be in place. I couldn't be happier about that.

The problem now lies in running the installed program. Hehe. Here's what happens...when I run:

[matthurne@localhost fake_windows]$ wine Program\ Files/Jasc\ Software\ Inc/Paint\ Shop\ Pro\ 8/Paint\ Shop\ Pro.exe
    fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub
    fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD SICE. Try setting Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
    fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x7800f03e,1) - no error checking or testing yet
    ReadStyleSheet: unknown token "\widctlpar"
    ReadStyleSheet: unknown token "\adjustright"
    ReadStyleSheet: unknown token "\cgrid"
    ReadStyleSheet: unknown token "\outlinelevel0"
    fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub

A nice Windows-ugly box comes up saying: "The End User License Agreement file license.rtf could not be found and displayed. You may need to reinstall the product." You can view this cute, gratifying and yet frustrating window here: http://cs.messiah.edu/~matthurne/wine/psplicenseerr.jpg

Problem is, if I go into the Paint Shop Pro program folder in my fake windows directory, the file license.rtf is present and non-empty. I considered that maybe it was a permissions issue, so I set full permissions for all users. It didn't help.

I have also updated the config file at http://cs.messiah.edu/~matthurne/wine/config to reflect what I have now.

Any ideas would be great. I'm going to do a loaddll debug and see if I can get somewhere that way.

SUCCESS!

Great news, I got it working! There's a lot more to explain, but for now, check out my screenshot:

http://cs.messiah.edu/~matthurne/wine/psp8_wine.jpg

I'm going to wipe wine clean and try the whole process over until I can figure out exactly how I got things working, to share with everyone else. Then I'll add it to WineHQ's app database.

Well done!!!

I've never used Wine before (actually once a couple of years ago and I only ran Notepad just to try it), though I would be interested seeing how you got it working.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

HOW-TO

Ok, I went back and redid everything SEVERAL times, and got rid of a lot of steps that didn't need to be there. Wanna know how to do it? Go here:

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=112193