Would Norton Ghost be best?

Thread: Would Norton Ghost be best?

Would Norton Ghost be best?

I currently have WinXP on an 80 GB HD. I would like to buy a bigger one and put everything I currently have on it so I can dual boot and have Linux on my old HD. Would using Norton Ghost be best or would something else be better?

If you already have Norton Ghost, then you might as well use it.

If you don't, take a look at this current thread titled ''Ghosting Linux'.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

How about this idea:
    1. Keep MSWindows where it is
    2. Install the second drive
    3. Partition the second drive into 2 partitions
    4. Format one partition for GNU/Linux
    5. Format the other for "Drive D:" of MSWindows

It's so simple, it should be illegal!

If you want to think more long-term, I suggest making the new drive into 4 partitions instead.

a quick note of caution re norton ghost and SATA drives. Symantec Ghost Corporate Edition v7.5 does not support SATA unless you get an update from Symantec (not available for download) and Norton Ghost 2003 needs to be liveupdated before it will support SATA.
    SuSE 9.1 Pro
    MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R
    ---
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

mysticboer

That's news to me! Do you have a link where I can read up on that?

Edit: The reason I was asking is that we use 7.5 at work and I use 2003 at home and I haven't ran into any problems yet.

I found an article here .

This is what it has to say in case anyone is interested.

Ghost is compatible with the new Serial ATA standard. If you are experiencing problems such as Ghost hanging, locking up, or freezing when loading, the problem lies with the interrupt handling for the Intel 865 Chipsets and later. To fix this problem, use the -FNI switch which forces Ghost to use the BIOS to gain access to the IDE drive. For more information on the -FNI switch, read the document Switches: Alphabetical list of switches.

If you are using Norton Ghost 2003, the latest LiveUpdate includes the fix for this issue. To run LiveUpdate for Ghost 2003, open the program and then click LiveUpdate.

If you have a Licensed copy of Symantec Ghost 7.5, contact the Symantec Customer Center at 1-800-927-4017 to obtain information on an updated file that fixes this problem. The Customer Center will confirm your serial number for your copy of Symantec Ghost 7.5.
    Last edited by homey; 09-21-2003 at 09:39 AM.

Sepero,
    I can't beleive I didn't think of that myself. But why would four partitions be best, just to keep the HD organized much better?

Because people usually make their GNU/Linux partition too small/big on the first try. Making 4 partitions gives you easier options for expanding your drive in the coming months. (Especially if you're using NTFS under MSWindows)