Dialing ISP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dialing ISP?

Question Dialing ISP?

ok, Im a Real newbie. I Have Only been Messing with Linux about 2 Weeks now. I Just Installed RH 9 on my PC and after ALOT of Work got it to see my Darn Speedtouch USB Modem... Now Im down to a Stupid Question....

My ISP requires me to Dial A # to connect to them... Where do I Put that # for my modem (USB DSL) to dial?

I Might Just be Overlooking it. I Have a Headache from Fighting with this Darn Modem.

thanks in advance.

P.S. the Forums here have been a GREAT help on setting up the modem=)

I Looked there, It only Offers you to Put in a # for a Dial Up Modem. Not a DSL modem. I Cant find any Info On ADSL #'s.

My Modem isnot like a cable Modem (Allways On) it Has to "Dial" out like a Reg 56K Modem Does. But it Connects at 1.4... bla, bla, bla....

I Need to find a Spot to Install a Phone # for the DSL #

=)

thanks Again

i use dial up and dont have any experience DSL modems, unfortunatley but i found you some info here

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/

http://www.tldp.org - another good bookmark

Unhappy

Everywhere I look it Doesnt Offer Any Info For a Phone # for DSL modem=( I Thought that the Modem Install was the Only Headache... I Looked at both Of those links. Still No info =(

Im going to Look around the Net Some More Maybe Ill Get lucky and Stumble Across something

thanks

In network configuration, youve added your DSL modem into the hardware tab. Then to add you connection youve clicked the devices tab, clicked new and selected a DSL connection? all the information youd need to enter about your ISP is in that entry
    <wecell> new apples look fairly interesting, but i'd hate to buy into something that is going to CRASH all the time.
    <DigDug> wecell : What are you using right now?
    <wecell> i've always used windows machines.

bash.org

I have never heard of that. I work for a DSL (among MANY other things) company, and it is 'always on'. What I suspect is that you simply have a regular dial up modem that embeds DSL technology inside, and the server also supports it. Have you tried simply setting the device as the modem in kppp and dialing up? I can guarantee that if dialing up was common with 'DSL' then the option would be there.

See if you can get it going that way. Again, is simply sounds like a normal dial up modem that is on steroids. If this works, make sure to bump the max connect speed in kppp.

Still confused though, what is your ISP so I can check into it. Is the dialup a one shot deal to configure your DSL connection automatically. If so, then just call and ask them to tell you want you need to know.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

The DSL Modem is the Alcatel Speedtouch. I Am On Bellsouth.net. when I Call their Help Line It also Gives Me Phone #'s Option for DSL. so I Have No Idea.

When I look in My Hardware Configuration it Shows My Acatel as an ISDN system Device. I Have NO clue why its their.

I Can pull up the Info on the modem with ifconfig ppp0
    and When I run

modem_run -m -f /path/to/mgmt.o

the Lights on the modem flash like its setting itself up.

Ill Call Bellsouth and see if they Have any info I Can use. but 1/2 of their teck support needs teck support...

thanks again. Ill keep ya posted if I Find anything out

ok. I Just got off the phone with Bellsouth. and they informed me that the DSL needs to "Dial up" everytime the connection is lost...

So I Asked her if it was like "a normal dial up modem that is on steroids" and she said "yes"

so Now I have a diferent Problem.... How do I Set this thing up as a regular Modem??!? =) Back to the Drawing board....

Ill Mess around with kppp in a few min's, I Have to run the wife creature to the store=)

I Guess Ill Start with a clean Install Of RedHat so I Can get rid Of All these Darn Changes I Made... (Changed so many settings I Cant remember them All)

thanks =)

I know in kppp, under modem config, all my USB ports show up as selectable. I still don't know if this is going to work at all. I am going to look into their tech pages. Thanks for the info.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog

ok. New Question... Should I Set this Modem Up Like I Did Before? With the ppp0 and all of that stuph?? or should I Set it Up Different. I Have to Make linux See this DSL modem as a Regular Dial Out Modem.

so Do I Need to Put the mgmt.o Microcode in it again, and set up the ppoa settings ETC.

Like I Said Before, I had Linux getting a responce from the

ifconfig ppp0

but will that make kppp See it as a modem??

any ideas anyone?? please? =)

l8r

Kaiaer

Alright, I checked into it and you must have
    BellSouth Dial Internet Service
    As low as $4.95 per month* pricing details
    with
    # Surf up to five times faster with BellSouth Accelerator technology.

Since both the true DSL options list
    Instant Connections - With no dial-up delays or busy signals, it's ready when you are.

That is, unless they do some dynamic allocation of resources where you just connect. Anyway, I would think that you should add the mgmt.o microcode, but don't try to add as regular DSL, and then attempt to use the modem using kppp.

Either that or the 'call' is the 'reconnect' that normally happens in a DSL connection establish. I still feel that there is something I am missing to say 'Ahhh, that's it'. Did they provide MS software, if not, then it must be a regular dialer. Maybe a PDF on the Windows software disk?

hlrguy
    My Linux Blog

I Have to Use the Alcatel Modem Setup Disk to Install the Modem. It uses PPPoA. It is a DSL Modem. and I Have to Have the Filters ECT for the Phones. Once it is Connected its their. it Just has to Have the # to Log on with (its not a normal Phone # as in 770-555-5555, it is only the #35)

Im going to Give it a try with Setting it up as a ppp0 and Seeing If kppp see's it. Let me Know if you find any other Info on this =)

Kaiaer

ok. I Have the Speedtouch Modem Found on my USP drive. But Kppp Cant find it. I Have to Make the

BUS 003 DEVICE 002

somehow connect with /dev/usb/ttyACM

any Ideas How to Make these 2 come together??

Hmmm, I have no idea how to tie the two together. I thought they just were? When you do
    usbview, which one does it show up on? In my kppp, even though nothing there, I can still select any of the 4 USB ports that I have. Have you tried them all? Also, there must be some documentation on how this is done, even from the Windows side. I would hate to be leading you down the garden path on something that is a waste of time.

hlrguy
    My Linux Blog