qmail is setup now what?

Thread: qmail is setup now what?

qmail is setup now what?

I followed the installation instructions in lifewithqmail.com and qmail is now working (i think, i didn't get any errors or anything).

Does this mean i have working mail server? If so how can I connect a mail client like outlook express?

Thanks,

-Rex

u need pop for that. try vpopmail.

this would help.

http://hibrida.interaksi.web.id/man/...ata.html#QMAIL

-qweqwe

The link showed me instructions of installing a bunch of software. What are they for?

What is POP? What is SMTP?

My understanding of qmail mail server is that once it's setup, I can configure a mail client like outlook express to connect to it. Apparently this is not the case.

So what is included in qmail? What services does it provide?

Thanks,

-Rex

Umm...

thats mail 101. do a search for Sendmail howto. i think that covers the basics on mail.

BTW whats is ur setup. how are u connected. do u hv a static IP, domain name, DNS entry.

-qweqwe

Your qmail installation already includes a SMTP server - because that's what Qmail is - a MTA (Mail Transfer Agent).

SMTP - sends your outgoing mail
    POP - pulls in your mail from the outside (Post Office Protocol)

Near the end of LWQ - it has a section on installing a POP server that works with Qmail - its there, just look for it....

You can test sending out mail (if you haven't installed a POP server yet) - change your SMTP server in Outlook Express or whatever you're using to the IP address of your Qmail server - and try sending a message to Hotmail or Yahoo account - and see if it gets there!
    Linux? What's that?

Originally posted by qweqwe1
    Umm...

thats mail 101. do a search for Sendmail howto. i think that covers the basics on mail.

BTW whats is ur setup. how are u connected. do u hv a static IP, domain name, DNS entry.

-qweqwe
    I am connected via my Linksys router. Both are inside the router with DHCP IP from the router. How can I find out about my DNS entry?

Originally posted by Dutch Mafia-boy.

You can test sending out mail (if you haven't installed a POP server yet) - change your SMTP server in Outlook Express or whatever you're using to the IP address of your Qmail server - and try sending a message to Hotmail or Yahoo account - and see if it gets there!
    I entered the qmail server IP on the SMTP field in outlook. I tried sending an email to a yahoo email and I get a server timeout error. I also tried sending an email using the intructions in LWQ:

echo To: myemail@myhost.com | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

And it still does not work. I'll try working on sending email first before I tackle installing POP.

Any post is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply,

-Rex

>I am connected via my Linksys router. Both are inside the router with >DHCP IP from the router. How can I find out about my DNS entry?

Couple of things
    - to receive email u need a static IP address.
    - secondly u need to register a domain name which shd point to ur static IP address
    - u need to hv a MX record in ur DNS

If u are on a DHCP i believe most of the mail servers may reject ur mail because thats the model spammers follow.

-qweqwe
    Last edited by qweqwe1; 10-15-2003 at 02:45 AM.

Originally posted by qweqwe1
    >
    Couple of things
    - to receive email u need a static IP address.
    - secondly u need to register a domain name which shd point to ur static IP address
    - u need to hv a MX record in ur DNS

-qweqwe
    I do have a static IP address from my ISP and a domain registerd that points to my static IP. I use tzo.com (dns forwarding).

Will this configuration work?

How do I setup an MX record in the DNS?

Thanks for the reply,

-Rex

who is ur domain registar. usually they provide a web based UI that lets u add DNS enteries. In some cases like 1cheapdomains.com they dont provide DNS services. u can use some free DNS providers like zoneedit to provide u DNS services. Check with ur registar.

do a nmap localhost to make sure port 25 is open. also post the output of qmailctl stat.

do a nslookup or host ur domain name and make sure the IP address matches ur IP address.

-qweqwe

I Quit!

Well I quit. I don't have time to go through this now. Besides, I realized that my email is far too important to be hosted at home. I can have power, hardware failures, etc. which could jeopardize my email indefinitely.

I found an excellent hosting company westhost.com. For $7.95 a month I get unlimited email, unlimited mySQL database, and all sorts of neat package.

I will leave mail server administratrion to the experts. I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

-Rex