Turn on scroll lock

Thread: Turn on scroll lock

Turn on scroll lock

My keyboard doesnt have scroll lock, and I would like to be able to enable it. Is there any way to write a program that just simply turns it on/enables scroll lock?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking (you can't enable something that doesn't exist....), but you can try hitting Ctrl-S (to turn scroll-lock on) and Ctrl-Q (to turn it back off).

Yes, these keystrokes send SIGSTOP and SIGCONT to the process that's currently in the foreground on whatever virtual console you have running. That's also what happens when the kernel TTY driver sees that you turned scroll lock on -- it sends SIGSTOP. When you turn it off, it sends SIGCONT. I think that if you use the ctrl keys, your scroll lock light will even turn on -- of course, that can't happen if you don't have one, though.

And SIGSTOP stops the process that it's sent to. SIGCONT continues. They're used by debuggers, usually, since (IIRC) they can't be caught or ignored.

This only works in a text console (not an xterm). Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get into one while in X.

i tried ctrl-s, but it didnt work.

Heres what im trying to do...Im trying to use maya (a 3d modelling program), and for certain actions, such as rotating, you must hold down alt-left mouse. Now, this makes me move the window instead! Im using blackbox, and there is an option to turn this off, by hitting scroll lock. However, my keyboard has no such key. (really!)
    Is there any way to trick it into thinking i have enabled scroll lock?

Thanks again!

or you could just turn the moving of the window off
    it should be somewhere in the blackbox config, virtually any wm has the ability to turn it on/off

I would, but i love the function...just want to be able ot enable/disable it when i need to use Maya.

couldn't find in blackbox without sourcecode editting, or fluxbox

easy was is the KDE wm (forgot name). if you want light wm, use windowmaker, in the windowmaker preference>keyboard settings
    -------------------------

1.7 Ghz Pentium IV
    128MB RD-RAM
    40GB 5400 RPM HDD
    Creative Live! Sound Card
    Geforce 4 Ti4400 gfx card

I think that they may be a option in your computer BIOS to enable the scroll lock on boot up - can't chech my BISO as Im at Uni, but I will post back later if you have no luck

Jme
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
    - Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Originally posted by jme
    I think that they may be a option in your computer BIOS to enable the scroll lock on boot up
    That'd be num lock, actually.

saturn-vk -- Yeah, that makes sense, since you're running X and the keyboard's in RAW mode. Normal terminals have the keyboard in XLATE (or is that COOKED? don't remember...) mode, where the kernel TTY driver sees the keystrokes.

Hmm... it's got to be an option somewhere in the Blackbox config, it's just a question of finding it. I don't use Blackbox, so I'm afraid I'm not any help...

Originally posted by bwkaz
    That'd be num lock, actually.

Dooh!! What a dufus!!

Thanks for poinging that out bwkaz! It was an easy mistake to make!?!?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
    - Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

While we are on the subject of scroll Lock....

I have a KVM, that uses the Scroll Lock as the switch between my Windows Machine and my Linux Box, hitting it on the keyboard is no problem, and works like a charm, however ( ) I was wondering if there was a way to create a short cut, that would allow me to double click an Icon, to perform the same task? ( double scroll lock )

There is no real reason for doing this other than wanting to see if it would work.

Anyone??

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

Heres what im trying to do...Im trying to use maya (a 3d modelling program), and for certain actions, such as rotating, you must hold down alt-left mouse. Now, this makes me move the window instead!
    like said, window maker can disable alt+mouse actions, no need of scroll lock