eye candy apps - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: eye candy apps

Here's another completely-useless-and-oh-so-cool app to hog your system with: xdesktopwaves
    ::.. Debian GNU/Linux für alle ..::
    Home | MAME Arcade | Screenshots

Oh ya, that's a good one. totally pointless yet very fun!
    also doesn't eat as much CPU as you'd think

Exactly!
    But they had that in mind when they made the program, and it stops hogging the cpu once you actually start doing some work... ie stop playing around with the mouse/windows.
    ::.. Debian GNU/Linux für alle ..::
    Home | MAME Arcade | Screenshots

Here's a fantastic KDE window decorations set:

crystal-gl

It makes window borders and titles transparent, with awesome refraction and lighting effects, and cool smooth fading of window focus and button highlighting. Having a bunch of shaded window title bars on screen looks REALLY REALLY COOL.

Crystal-gl really needs to be seen in motion to be appreciated. There's nothing like the "wow" factor of moving a window around and seeing the wallpaper distort through the window borders as if they were made of curved glass.

Best of all, it's OpenGL accelerated. On my 550mhz PIII, Crystal-GL actually takes up LESS CPU cycles than a much uglier lightweight window border set (like, say, ActiveHeart or a WinXP clone).

The same author wrote a non-GL accelerated version earlier--also available at KDE-Look. Unlike Crystal-GL, plain old Crystal has much fewer effects and honestly is a CPU hog. On a slower machine without OpenGL hardware acceleration, I must recommend turning window movement/resizing into wireframe mode.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Originally posted by apeekaboo
    Here's another completely-useless-and-oh-so-cool app to hog your system with: xdesktopwaves
    Awesome...gives my P4 w/HT (RHEL 3 work machine) something to do!
    Last edited by jymbo; 01-21-2005 at 04:17 PM.
    Superhands...

well... haven't been recording much of the eye candy lately, but here's one that some of you might like:

change the lock dialog of xcreensaver

let's revive this thread! fire up some nice eye candy you have added to your desktop recently.

tuco

Originally posted by tucolino
    well... haven't been recording much of the eye candy lately, but here's one that some of you might like:

change the lock dialog of xcreensaver

let's revive this thread! fire up some nice eye candy you have added to your desktop recently.

tuco
    excellent. I can't stand the default one... it just looks eh.... bad.

thanks
    Gentoo
    folding@home: 36480

3ddesktop: wooo the "WINDOWS" key actually means something fun =D
    "Getting information from the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." - Mitchell Kapor

hehe. i had forgotten about this thread. it's quite outdated now. we have things like compiz/compiz-fusion/beryl now which do things smoother than 3ddesktop, for example...

another one that comes to mind is avant window navigator...

well I'm glad I dug it up cause now I get to play with all sorts of eye candy apps and have people tell me they're outdated and show me new ones to play with
    "Getting information from the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." - Mitchell Kapor