The MAIN "Which Browser" thread. (Please post here) - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The MAIN "Which Browser" thread. (Please post here)

Opera for general use, as it's much faster than firefox on my system, and has most of the useful features I need.
    Firefox for viewing anythign with embedded video content - just can't get that to work with Opera.
    I've yet to find a linux browser that correctly identifies html pages iwth irregular extensions, the way IE does. That's the only positive point about IE though

Mandrake

I have tried Redhat since version 6.0 all the way up to 9.0 none of them has ever given me the ease of installation and help that "MANDRAKE" did.

Mandake has been a breeze to install and to keep up to date. A few clicks of the mouse and it goes and gets the latest updates for what ever files I need.

http://mandrakeuser.cjb.net/

So of all the distro's that I have tried Mandrake gets my vote!
    Last edited by catman; 02-21-2004 at 02:57 PM.

lol it won't be called mandrake soon...

Mandrake looses name
    Last edited by hardcore; 02-21-2004 at 05:57 PM.
    learning is life, as long as you're learning, you're living...

Trust the yanks to always litigate every-thing to death, goodwill and all

Whatever name it's rebranded as, as far as I am concerned it will still be Mandrake !

So I will continue to use it.

Thanks very much for the link and info.

Originally posted by catman

Whatever name it's rebranded as, as far as I am concerned it will still be Mandrake !
    I agree completely, and even though I've moved on from Mandrake, it'll always be known as Mandrake to me. Even if it becomes Firedrake or Foxdrake

So I will continue to use it.

Thanks very much for the link and info.
    This thread is getting OT, but before it gets locked...........

I think you meant to say "Trust the yanks to protect intellectual and trademark property rights". When you take without asking, there are to be expected some reprecussions. It's not re-branded if you will finish the article it says the action was suspended.
    Last edited by JohnT; 02-22-2004 at 05:11 AM.
    "I was pulled over for speeding today. The officer said, "Don't you know
    the speed limit is 55 miles an hour?" And I said, "Yes, but I wasn't going
    to be out that long."

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    COME VISIT ME IN RUSSIA NOW!!

Originally posted by JohnT
    This thread is getting OT, but before it gets locked...........

I think you meant to say "Trust the yanks to protect intellectual and trademark property rights". When you take without asking, there are to be expected some reprecussions. It's not re-branded if you will finish the article it says the action was suspended.
    What I meant was, when "Mandrake" is rerelease under whatever name I will still continue to use it

The European unoin is trying to patent all sorts of things, some of which as far as I am concerned is against the spirit of Linux.

I trust that this now sets my comment in the correct context.
    P.S. Look at the fight between Lindows and Windows!

What I meant was, when "Mandrake" is rerelease under whatever name I will still continue to use it

The European unoin is trying to patent all sorts of things, some of which as far as I am concerned is against the spirit of Linux.

Well if thats what you meant why not just edit your post to reflect that?
    to be out that long."

I prefer Konqueror and Mozilla or a Mozilla based browser (Firebird/Firefox)
    Luke 18:27 - Jesus Said, "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God." (King James Version)

Some things got to be built on tradition. I prefer Netscape 7.1.

What I meant was, when "Mandrake" is re-released under whatever name I will still continue to use it

This is for academic purposes only! I do not mean to flame anyone or to step on anyone's toe's

Look at this section below from the " Linux Newbie Administrator Guide" Section 0.8 http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk

0.8 "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch"
    "The economic paradigm which makes this true depends upon scarcity of resources. Software resources are only scarce because we all keep software proprietary and secret. But not Linux! When I give you my software, it may create an opportunity cost for me, but I get to keep it even after I've given it to you. It is a free lunch only rivaled in history by the loaves and the fishes." (Brett Bazant <bbazant@shaw.wave.ca> (http://linuxtoday.com/cgi-bin/showtb...=12450&sn=5418).

And here is a quote from Thomas Jefferson explaining, in the year 1813, that intellectual property (IP) does not exists. There is only a limited monopoly to profit for the author, which is society-given on the conditions that the monopoly strikes the balance for the common benefit:

"If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. Its peculiar character, too, is that no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density in any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move, and have our physical being, incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation. Inventions then cannot, in nature, be a subject of property. Society may give an exclusive right to the profits arising from them, as an encouragement to men to pursue ideas which may produce utility, but this may or may not be done, according to the will and convenience of the society, without claim or complaint from anybody." ["The Writings of Thomas Jefferson". Edited by Andrew A. Lipscomb and Albert Ellery Bergh. 20 vols. Washington, Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association, 1905. Quoted after: "The Founders' Constitution" Volume 3, Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8, Document 12, http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/found...1_8_8s12.html, The University of Chicago Press.]

Originally posted by MorphiusFaydal

mozilla is the successor to netscape, and is a very good, featured package like netscape communicator
    Couldn't stop myself laughing and correcting you right after reading this sentence:

Netscape was based on Mozilla!!!

Really wanted to post you on Computer Stupidities.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Originally posted by XiaoKJ
    Couldn't stop myself laughing and correcting you right after reading this sentence:

Netscape was based on Mozilla!!!

Really wanted to post you on Computer Stupidities.
    Not quite bucko, Netscape was only based on Mozilla, AFTER Netscape released it's code as an open source project; project Mozilla.

Originally posted by hardcore
    Not quite bucko, Netscape was only based on Mozilla, AFTER Netscape released it's code as an open source project; project Mozilla.
    That's correct from the initial standpoint of conception. However the tables turned later in the game. So essentially both statements are correct.
    to be out that long."

Originally posted by JohnT
    That's correct from the initial standpoint of conception. However the tables turned later in the game. So essentially both statements are correct.
    I just thought that was implied...