Menus disappearing in KDE/Gnome

Thread: Menus disappearing in KDE/Gnome

Hybrid View

Menu disappearing in mandrake Linux 9.2

Few things I noticed when I strated my machine today - some items where missing- in KDE - the terminal, Mozilla browser, Configure computer of mandrake , etc. This is true even in GNOME when I login thru that.
    Why is that, any suggestions.
    Thanks
    SS
    Linux Newbie
    Expermienting with Mandrake 9.2 and SuSE 9
    AJP/Clevo laptop-866MHz PIII,384MB SDRAM

Cool

I Posted a reply to some one else on the list re this problem, I foundthat whenever I updated or added new packages my menus went "loopy" i.e. the folder structure had changed and there were lots of missing items. You need to get to what was called "Mandrake Control Centre" and is now called "Configure your Computer" You find this in the confiuration list. If it too has dissapered you need to open a terminal window and "su" to root. Once you are the root user, type cd to get yourself to the actual root file system.

Then type /usr/sbin/drakconf.real

That will start the Mandrake Control Centre.

Click on "System" then the "MenuDrake" icon. You'll get a pop up that asks you to choose either "system menu" or "root menu". Choose "system menu". This will open the MenuDrake app.

Click on "environment" and select "all environments". Click on the BIG "menu style" icon and check mark the "All applications" menu box. You can also check mark the "Add link to What to do"? menu box.

Click OK.

Then Click on the BIG Save Menu icon and wait for it to restore the menu settings. Once that's done exit out of the Menu Drake app. (File > quit)

Hey Presto - all should be back to normal. I went though a couple of rebuilds before I figured it out!!

Hope this helps.

Michael

Thanks Michael
    It worked perfectly as you said!!
    Thanks a lot
    SS
    Linux Newbie
    Expermienting with Mandrake 9.2 and SuSE 9
    AJP/Clevo laptop-866MHz PIII,384MB SDRAM

glad it worked for you - maybe that one should be put into the tips and tricks file.

Michael

Can't you just go into your console and type
    update-menus -s

?

I know there's a command, very close to the above one, that will rebuild your menu's. Only takes a few seconds and you get everything back.

The menu drake fix has worked a few times for me, but not this time.

update-menus didn't work either - gave an error message about "expected =" in gtk-gnutella

so I went to usr/lib/menu and edited the file gtk-gnutella, and found some missing " marks. Put thenm in and then did update-menus again and everything is back, even gtk-gnutella, which has never shown up in my menu in the past.
    nigel
    hiroshima
    linux counter #208272

< searching keywords >

mandrake gnome kde disappear missing menu items
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

mdwatts,

what's the meaning of this last post?

I posted a fix, not a question
    nigel
    hiroshima
    linux counter #208272