Introductions

Thread: Introductions

Introductions

I've noticed quite a few permament posters on this forum. However, aside from your various skill levels and areas of intrest no one really knows any more about you. I've started this thread to give an area for permanent members to become more known. I'll go ahead and start. Maybe this way you'll be known for something more than for answering the "Help, I'm a newbie" thread first.

My name is John Anderson and I live in Phoenix, AZ where I work as a Network Admin and just recently as an independent consultant. I've been using computers since I was 12 and using Linux since I was 18 or so. I'm now 25, married to a beautiful woman named Tiffany and have 3 kids, Brittany, Tyler, and Athena. I feel very strongly about open software and open standards. My only hobby really is J2EE development which is really computing, so I guess my hobby and profession have merged.

I'm also a Marine Reservist and Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran who served in the Intelligence field overseas.

Favorite Games:

Firearms mod for Half-Life

Favorite Shows:

Junkyard Wars
    Robot Wars
    Discovery Science NASA specials.

Things I love Most:

Greek Mythology.
    JBoss
    Slackware Linux

Things I hate the most:

Windows ME
    The Microsoft VM
    SPAM

Most Notable *****ion

I want to build a vivarium and raise Poison Dart Frogs. These very colorful (almost neon) frogs are native to tropical regions. They extract the poisons from insects they eat, usually fire ants, and secrete these poisons through their skin. The most poisonous of these frogs can secrete enough toxin to kill 4 adult humans. So look, don't touch. They get their name from native tribes who use their toxin to dip blowgun darts for hunting.
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

I'm Joel White, divorced father of a 15 year old who is getting her driving learners permit tomorrow. There goes serenity.
    I work as a registered nurse from Augusta, GA working at the Medical College of Georgia in the Utilization department. My work has really nothing to do officially with IT, but since I'm the only Y chromosome in my department and I play with computers, I'm the one who gets called when they call the IT helpdesk and get the voicemail "We are currently talking to other users.......".
    We use Novell Netware, Win2000 workstations, and some older workstations with Win 98. We started using a program called IDX for billing and patient information (which is a Java interface on top of an Oracle database) on Oct 1. We were in the black about 2-3 million a month until IDX came along; in October and November we just found out we are 4 million in the red for those 2 months since the bills are being held up. IDX has not interfaced correctly with accounting programs we had in place. The CEO said all vacations are cancelled until it is corrected, and if a department has not corrected their portion of the problem by 12/31/03, don't bother clocking in on 1/2/04. So long hours for the next 2 weeks.
    I like to play with Linux since I can't play with Windows as much (i.e, compiling kernels, source.)
    Favorite Games
    Morrowind
    Halflife-all flavors

Favorite shows
    DVD's from Netflix- I don't watch network except for some college football.
    Best Movie In The Last Week
    Lord of The Rings-Return Of The King
    Favorite Things
    Reading Andrew Vacches mystery novels
    Political History- especially when the liberals have to straighten up the messes the conservatives have made
    Riding bikes and helping with local races
    Hanging with friends
    Things I Hate The Most
    Folks who weaseled out of the draft when it was their turn being gungho about going to war. I never got called up but I didn't join the National Guard or buy four deferments during Vietnam like some folks did.
    The idea of Palladium- wasn't "1984" by George Orwell required reading when they went to school?
    Child molesters and abusers

Most Notable *****ion
    Xbox Linux by the end of the week- got all the stuff, have to find the time to sit down and do it. The idea of using a Microsoft Xbox running Linux to do the same thing as MSN TV really appeals to me for some reason.
    Helping out with Mepis Linux.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Re: Introductions

My name is Martin Brentnall, I'm a University student studying Computer Science in Stafford, UK. I actually live in Derby though. I am currently 21 years old and have been using computers for 18 years (PC's for about 7 years, and Linux for about 2 years). I am hoping to become a C/C++ programmer once I finish Uni. I am going on a work placement next year, for which I am hoping to go a live in Germany. My main hobbies are games programming, learning Japanese, watching anime and writing music.

Favorite Games:

Kana Imouto
    Tales of Phantasia (currently playing)
    Lots of classics (C64, Arcade, SNES, Amiga etc)

Favorite Shows:

The Simpsons
    Futurama
    Kodocha
    Tokyo Mew Mew
    Tenchi Muyo
    Ranma 1/2

Things I love Most:

Anything to do with Japan
    Programming

Things I hate the most:

MSN (Messenger)
    Narrow minded people

Most Notable *****ion

Nothing really... Just to enjoy life as much as possible.

New - but posting

Hi, I'm Katherine Briggs. I'm fairly new to Linux, but have learned alot hanging out here. I'm 40, married (kinda - ), and have raised 3 kids. My youngest son is currently with the US Army in Iraq. Middle son is going to college and my oldest daughter is married and raising a family of her own.

I work as a software/hardware technician for a time and attendance software company. I've been a PC tech since the early 90's. I do some light programming. Everything is self taught. NOW I finally have time to go back to college and finish my degree.

Favorite Games:
    Port Royal
    Pirate Hunter
    Pirates of the Carribean (Seadogs II)

Favorite Movies:
    Indiana Jones (All 3)
    Fiddler on the Roof
    Too many more to name
    NO chick flicks!

Hobbies:
    Ceramics
    Reading
    Camping

Things I hate:
    Negative people
    Judgemental people
    Spiders

Most notable *****ion:
    Raising 3 happy well adjusted kids (did that)
    Now I'm just looking toward the future. Being happy, getting my degree, and remedying a personal situation that deters both those.

Hi,
    My name is Suramya and I am 23 years old. Originally from India, currently in New Jersey doing my Bachelors in Computer Science at NJIT (New Jersey Institute of Tech). I also work at the NJIT Computing helpdesk which is a lot of fun.

Been using Linux since 2000 as my primary OS. I Like playing around with computers and gadgets.

Favorite Games:
    Warcraft
    Diablo I & II

Favorite Movies:

All Jackie Chan movies
    Final Destination (I & II)
    Ghost Ship
    Back To the Furture (All)

Favorite Shows:

Star Trek
    Sliders
    Dark Angel

Favorite Author:

Mercedes Lackey
    Robin Cook
    Michael Crichton
    David Webber
    and lots more

Reading, programming, listening to music, watching movies

Dislikes:
    people who think that they know everything.
    People who refuse to learn

well thats it about me, if you are really bored and want to know more about me then feel free to visit my website

- Suramya
    --------------------------------------------------
    My Website: http://www.suramya.com
    My Blog: http://www.suramya.com/blog
    Registered Linux User #: 309391
    --------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer:
    Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Intros

Hello. I am a 69yrs young, divorced (29yrs), was married 18yrs, still single, Pro Glamour Photographer of 24yrs, prior to that was Medical Electronics Engineer for 12yrs, prior to that was a Radio & Radar Technician of which 7 1/2 yrs served and was trained in the Royal Australian Air Force.
    I have 2 married Daughters, 2 Grand-sons, 1 Grand-son plus Grand-daughter, and 1 Great-Grand-son plus 1 Great-Grand-daughter.

Originally from the beautiful Sydney 26yrs ago.

While a Medical Electronics Engineer, travelled to Europe twice ( Sweden, Denmark, Germany, England, Greece, Italy, Austria.)
    To New Zealand 12 times (North and South Islands)
    To the USA 6 times for 6 weeks at a time (California, Texas, Georgia, Arizona, New York State, Mass., Illinois, Phil., and including all their major cities)
    And to just about every part of Australia so I have had a quite fortunate life time.

TV Prefer Documentrys, British and Australian Comedy, and most Australian made drama.

MOVIES Any reasonably intelligent sci-fi. Feel-good movies and comedys. Australian starred movies and Australian subject and made in Oz.
    MUSIC Good rock and good Pop, very little of which comes from the USA nowdays thanks to the RIAA (wash my mouth out with soap for even saying the letters)
    Fave SINGERS Kylie Minogue, Danni Minogue, Delta Goodrem, Nikki Webster (star of the Sydney 2000 Olympics Opening and Closing ceremonys at the ripe old age of 12yrs), Vanessa Amorosi etc etc

GAMES Linuxs' own PYSOL, SHISEN-sho, Kmahjongg

Started in computers in Oct'98 with Win98 but now have Win2000Pro.
    In Linux started with RedHat about 3yrs ago but have changed to MANDRAKE since version 9.0 came out then 9.1 and now 9.2.
    I have never regretted the choice of Mandrake and spend 95% of my time in it. My present computer is my 5th of which I have built the last 4.
    I am strictly a GUI person but have taught myself enough text mode to enable non-RPM installs and so on.
    I try to give back to the Linux by offering what maybe helpful solutions to Mandrake users difficulties.

While I am here, I wish everyone a Happy, Safe Christmas Time where ever you are in the world and especially all those men and women serving in the Armed Forces of their countries away from home in the worlds hot spots. May God bless them and keep them safe.

Cheers. John (69yrs young 4th Jan 2004)
    JohnB-Cairns (73yrs young)

The DESKTOP of the future is already here now..........MANDRIVA with KDE.

Hi all!

My name is Dave Roesch, your local raving lunatic moderator here at JL.

I'm 41, single at the moment, and have made my living as a computer tech and audio/recording wonk for the past 15 years. I started working with computers in the early 80s during college (can you say "assembly language programming for the 8080A"?), but my love of audio got me sidetracked into the recording industry in New York City, where I worked as a studio electronics tech for 8 years. As computers and digital equipment started becoming the tools of choice for sound recording and editing, things came full-circle and I found myself back at my computer roots again. I've been working with DOS/Windows for ages, Macs for about 8 years, and Linux for a little more than 3 years. Linux has been my main OS for more than half of those 3 years, although I still keep current with Windows for the "employability" aspect.

I spent most of my life in different areas of New York state, but moved to the San Francisco area about 7 1/2 years ago and have absolutely been loving it here. If any of you plan on visiting the area, you've got a tour guide if you want one- just send me an email.

OK, let's see...

- I'm not into gaming

- Can't stand most TV; it rots the brain big time. There's some good stuff though:

documentaries
    British comedy
    history and science shows
    Dr. Who
    Good detective/mystery shows ala Holmes, Hercule Poirot, etc.

- A few favorite movies:

The English Patient
    The Holy Grail
    Finding Nemo
    Dancing at Lughnassa

- Favorite things:

listening to good music
    playing guitar
    hiking
    Linux
    great sex (I can say that, can't I?)
    Wombats
    (NNITO)

- Serious bummers:

Microsoft products
    televangelists and other religious freaks and phonies
    right-wing whackos
    people who think a mind is not a terrible thing to waste

- Greatest desire/*****ion:

Um... on second thought, that one's a little too personal to share with the world. I'll let you know when I make it happen.

Happy holidays all- enjoy!

My name's Dave, I'm 24 years old and now living in South Florida after spending all my life in New York (quite a change this move was).

I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and right now I'm working as the head of technical support for a small software company down here.

I've been using linux since 1997 (my freshman year in college). My neighbor in the dorms brought over Slackware on a zipdisk and that was my very first time running any linux (what a learning curve that was).
    From there I jumped around between Slack, Red Hat, and Mandrake.
    I recently installed Libranet 2.8.1 on my box at home due to recommendations from a few friends, and wow, it's just incredible. I am know engulfed by the power of apt-get! I never really realized how powerful it was until I actually used it.

Hobbies
    Coding and learning programming languages
    - right now I am tuning up on my PHP and mysql. Currently, I know (between learning in school and on my own), php, asp, vb, perl, C, C++, lisp, prolog, scheme, ada95, some python, powerbuilder, java,

Favorite Shows/Movies
    24 - Hands down one of the best television shows in recent times.
    CSI: (Not miami)
    WWF - not so much recently though, it's getting extremely stale and boring
    Simpsons and Futurama
    Family Guy
    Lord of the Rings trilogy
    Usual Suspects
    12 monkeys

Favorite Games
    Gunbound (it's like Worms: Armageddon but with tanks) www.gunbound.net
    Any of the warcraft RTS series (starcraft included)

movies, some television, music, road trips

Dislikes
    People who believe microsoft is the one and only computing platform for the world. Sure it has its merits, but it's not the one and only
    PEBKAC errors (but I deal with those on a daily basis due to the nature of my job)
    Paying bills although I can't do much about that (the bank pretty much insists I pay back my car loan and Uncle Sam insists I pay back my student loan, along with the electric company, the city utilities, etc).

That's pretty much the basis of me. I have a webpage at http://mitzman.dnsalias.com/
    I haven't updated it in a while but I'm working on some new stuff for it but that won't happen until after the new year holidays (I'm going to New York in a few days).

Oh, and don't forget to have a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hannukah, a Kwazy Kwanzaa, a Rowdy Ramadan, and a Tip-Top Tett. (I think I covered the bases there).

I'm Andrew, and I'm a nuclear safety consultant, 26 years old, living in Manchester, UK. Studied Mechanical Engineering at Cambridge, which is where I first came across Unix (HP-UX), and where I first browsed linuxnewbie.org (the old name for this site, for you young 'uns) about a year before I finally got my computer and registered with LNO. User name is a bad unix play-on-words: my nickname from school is "veg".

- Favo(u)rite games

Quake3
    Frozen Bubble
    I play UT a bit, but I suck at it.

- Favo(u)rite TV

Don't watch TV at all. I mean, there are too many films showing at the cinemas in Manchester, and too much music to listen to... why would I watch TV?

- Some favo(u)rite music, in no particular order:

Everything by Medeski Martin & Wood (avant-garde jazz trio from New York)
    Prokofiev's Symphony 3 and Piano Concerto 2.
    Shostakovich's Symphony 10.
    Kimmo Pohjonen's album "Kluster" (he's a Finnish accordion player, but don't hold that against him )
    Michael Franti & Spearhead (recently saw them play live)
    Ugly Duckling's first record, "Fresh Mode" (seen them live too)
    Breakbeat dance music, especially Adam Freeland, Matthew Bushwacka B, FreQ Nasty, Hybrid, Mr Scruff, Coldcut.

- Some favo(u)rite movies:

Run Lola Run ("Lola Rennt" auf Deutsch)
    Buffalo Soldiers
    Ocean's Eleven (the remake)
    Elling (it's Norwegian)
    Donnie Darko
    Show Me Love (it was called something like "Fscking Amal" in the original Swedish)

- Other likes:

I love Ultimate (frisbee). I'll be playing at the World Beach Ultimate Cup in Rimini, Italy this Easter. Not because I'm particularly good, by the way: because my team got a wildcard entry.
    I'm a big advocate of civil nuclear power. (Bear in mind this doesn't actually come from a vested interest in keeping my job. you have to have a safety case when you're decommissioning nuclear sites, too, so I'll have work for the rest of my life, whether we build more power stations or just dismantle the ones we've got.)

- Dislikes:

Nuclear weapons
    Censorship
    "vox pop" journalism.
    Broccoli.

That must be enough for you by now... Oh yeah, I run Debian!

Andrew

I'm Alex Cavnar, as my nick so aptly indicates.

21 years old, just graduated from Nashville State Community College (formerly Nashville State Technical Institute) with an AAS in Computer Networking / Communications Technology. I've been fooling around with computers since about age 7, back when I was writing little BASIC programs on my trusty old Tandy TRS-80. I'm a big old computer collector-- right now my prize pieces are an old IBM PC-XT and the Commodore ViC-20 I scored for $8 bucks.

I've been married for nearly 3 years, but I've got no kids-- crazy as it sounds, we just wanted to get married!

I'm literally "in between" jobs right now. I just left my postition as a Medical Records technician in the basement of a local hospital, because I got hired doing Dell technical support. But, meanwhile I've got a nice little holiday vacation.

Favorite Games
    Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
    Star Trek: Armada 2
    Any of the Baldur's Gate line

Favorite TV
    Family Guy
    The Simpsons
    Anything about weaponry

Favorite Music
    In Extremo (German Folk Metal!)
    In Flames
    Hypocrisy
    Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
    I'm a HUGE bluegrass fan, too!

Favorite Movies
    I'm not a big fan of movies. I just go when my wife wants to!

Hobbies
    I'm a green belt in Moo Duk Kwan style Tae Kwon Do-- hopefully I'll work my way up to black belt!
    I've played bass, both upright and electric for about 6 years. I played in the only high school bluegrass band in the US, and I fooled around in some metal bands.
    ...and of course, slogging away here!

Dislikes
    People who whine
    poor, inflexible user interfaces
    stuff that costs more than I think it's worth

other assorted likes
    White Castle hamburgers!!!
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

My name is Brian Thayer.

I am 22 years old and working for a large Health System in Northeast Indiana. Currently I am working in the Multi-Platform Operations area for the hospital system maintaining the NT/2K/2K3, Netware, AIX, RedHat, SCO (I'm sorry), OS/390, and Tandem NSK environments. My current project at work is to help implement the new IDX solution our system is going live with in the near future. (Hard Candy we have to hook up and talk about your IDX implementation, I'm curious. We are doing all but the Patient Accounting piece.)

I am currently in process of bringing our new Imagecast system full circle and online within the month.

Originally from New York State, came to Indiana for school. I have completed A+, Network+, CSS, HDA, HDSA, CCNA and my AAS in Information Systems.

Favorite Games:
    Call of Duty
    UT2003

Punk Music.
    Free eats!

Dislikes:
    The ever apparent pain in the @$$ that controls our very lives, the clock.
    LINUX... at least it's not crack!

Well, I finally took the first step to completing my favorite *****ion. Here is the newest member of my family. (My camera sucks). I purchased an entire vivarium and 4 Fire Belly Toads (Bombina orientalis). Though they are not true Phillobates they are considered a good introduction to poisonous dart frog keeping. They are less toxic, they can be handled and they are much more forgiving of their caretakers mistakes. Soon I'm going upgrade to my first true dart frog (if these live), then on to Phyllobates terribilis which is the very poisonous one.
    "There's a big difference between "copy" and "use". It's exatcly the same
    issue whether it's music or code. You can't re-distribute other peoples
    music (becuase it's _their_ copyright), but they shouldn't put limits on
    how you personally _use_ it (because it's _your_ life)."

--Linus Torvalds

Hello, my name is je_fro and I'm an alcoholic...
    erm....wrong forum. I'm a biochemistry undergrad at The University of Texas at Austin. I live in a tiny efficiency "study coffin" because it is my sole purpose to bust out the awesome grades and learn as much about computers as possible. Right now, in computerland, I'm doing the servelet thing, learning java and getting Tomcat just right. I have a few old Sparcstations that I love, and they run OpenBSD and Gentoo. My other boxes run Debian, Slackware, FreeBSD, and my main box runs Gentoo.

Favorite Game
    Americas Army (is there anything else?)

Favorite TV
    TV is evil. My TV has been unplugged since January.

Favorite Music
    Morphine
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Assorted Punk Rock
    Asylum Street Spankers
    Any old hippie music, also...

Favorite Movies
    Heat
    Any Martin Scorsese film
    Apocalypse Now
    Bladerunner
    Gattaca

Hobbies
    I play the electric bass, and I enjoy saltwater fishing, motorcycles, and chasing skirts.

Dislikes
    Whiners and cheaters and lazy people.
    Anchovies.
    Last edited by je_fro; 12-24-2003 at 03:14 AM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS