Need input from users about submitting a slackware networking bug

Thread: Need input from users about submitting a slackware networking bug

Need input from users about submitting a slackware networking bug

I have had the #slackware guys try gunning me down, saying I was at fault. I have been told it is user error. But it is not, and I have taken time to prove it.

Slackware 9.1 is the worse Linux distro for systems with multiple network cards.

This is a major bug I have found with Slackware 9.1. Heres some of the quirks...

After a clean install, you go to use the internet. Nothing. You do a "lsmod" and the modules are all loaded. The network card is "seen", it is configured, and it's module is properly loaded. But the network lights are not on. Trying to bring it up with ifconfig is useless.

Now take the second network card out. The first card (set up with DHCP) is now working.

So lets try another network card. Ok. It boots, but now, it is loading the module, and the lights for the network connection are even comming on - but it does now work. Won't get a DHCP lease, won't access the network.

Lets pull the second card out.

Now it works just fine. eth0 is loading with the right module and is getting a DHCP lease and connecting just fine.

Lets stick another network cand in their now.

Won't connect. Once again, the modules for both cards loads, but they do not do anyhitng.

This does not always happen on all boxes, but I have found this very common on many machines now.

Slackware 9 never had this problem. I have done a lot of the same machines with 9 and it works fine - so the problem IS Slackware 9.1. I have tried telling the Slackware guys this, but it seems useless.

Another weird quirk: You have only one network card. Sometimes it will not use the network car and get it's DHCP info. you do a "lsmod" and it shows that the card is loaded and configured. But you can not use it. Now try loading the module for it a SECOND TIME. The lights on the network card flash. Now if you run your networking setup script again manually, poof! It works! I had the slackware geeks argue with me for 20 minutes, telling me I was a liar - that you could not load a module twice - BUT I CAN!! At least on this slackware build I can.

A couple notes:
    I HAVE tried the same stuff on THE SAME machines- the problem is not their with older Slack versions.
    I HAVE downloaded 2 new copies of Slackware 9.1 since. They all do this. So it is NOT a bad download.
    Other Linux distros do not have a problem with this either.

My reason for posting this is because I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, please let me know. I would like to know as much about it as possible before I submitt a full bug report to the Slack devs. If you are also Slacker and want to bash me about this, please find another thread, otherwise I will just take this post elsewhere.

Thank you for your time.
    Dean

Actually I think my buddy tried using two ethernet cards once in a slack 9.1 box. Didn't work out I believe, but I'll message him tomorrow and find out for sure.

My notebook has 2 nics one 10/100 and one wifi and they both work at the same time. I hook up the wired lan for faster speeds when my lappy is on my desk the only thing is i have the wired nic set not to load on boot so it will not generate errors on boot when not pluged in. I know linux in general seems to have probloms with 2 nics if they are the same brand/model my router had probloms with 2 isa 3c509b nics till i switched one to a card that uses the tulip driver and havent had problems yet.
    linux boxes:
    Compaq Presario Laptop Athlon xp 2400+ Slackware 10
    Compaq Deskpro 2000 P200mmx Firewall/Router
    Gateway E-3000 P200MMX Libranet Webserver
    Sun SparcStation 10 Redhat 6.2
    Gateway E-3100 debian stable mp3 server

I'm using 3 of the exact same D-Link DFE530 cards in my main box... In fact, they're so similar that their MAC addresses only vary by the last digit... I've never had a problem using all of them at once.

I'm also using two exact same SMC 10/100 1255TX cards in my SmoothWall box, and never had a problem there either.

lol..... nevermind.

Sorry to waste anyones time.

Deano.